installing piston rings

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
Ok on the last few steps of the motor and I need to know what I have to do or is needed to install the rings. They are already gapped and all that. But on the oil spacer rings.. Do I need to line the gaps up or opposite from each other. And what ring goes next, First time doing this, all help wanted, besides the help that says have someone else do it.

Stagger all the gaps. Follow the directions that should have came with the rings, usually on a small piece of paper.

so all gaps should stager like 3,6,9,12 o clock? and the other 2 top rings just go in with nothing else? no oil on them or anything?

They should not require oil to fit into the piston groves. Oil them up apon installing them into the cylinder.
Stager all the gaps as much as possible. But do remember, the rings will rotate in the cylinder bores. Very very slowly over time, when you open it up, you'll realize you didn't put them in the that way.

The other 2 top rings need to go in in a certain direction. They are shaped different from each other. The shape is also different depending on brand. If you aren't sure which direction they go, double check before installing them. As rumblefish says, oil them when installing them.

Make sure first ring is installed right side up, sane with 2nd; never have the gap over the wrist pin (dunno, but always been told that). Use a spreader, don't try to twist them on.

dont worry about it... I occasionally still twist compression rings on carefully with no problems. Oil rings always get twisted on..lol.

The ring gap orientation is relative to the front of the engine because the thrust sides are different on each side. You should have instructions which came with the rings. If not check the ring manufacture's web site or look them up on Summit because usually there is a link with instructions. Pay special attention to the top two rings because you don't want to put them on upside down.

-
Back