Installing replacement 1/4s?

-

Sinister.

Reaction score
How does everybody go about installing replacement panels?
Is it best to just butt weld it in, or joggle the old metal set the panel in and weld it, or joggle the top and butt weld the sides and bottom?

How do you do it?

I would say since you have to ask you probably should leave it to a pro. It will come out alot better and be done right. Nothing against doing it yourself, but you don't want to take any shortcuts on body work. Parts and cars are to expensive to try it and mess up and try it again.

It would be nice to send it off to a pro to have it done.
The problem with that is, the extra money, the time, and the loss of experience.

This is my daily driver and will continue to be for sometime. I have another car that I can use 3/4 weeks of the month. I don't think a body shop would be able to get it all done in 3 weeks, nor do I want to pay them for labor that I can do for free. Not only that, but it is MY car and it doesn't have to be perfect. I wouldn't make my first attempt on anybody's but my own.

I was asking because it seemed that in the past, most people joggled around the entire cut. Now I've heard more and more that people are no longer doing that because it makes the joint too strong making it difficult to hammer anything out. Not only that but, like you mentioned, moparsegura, I don't want to take shortcuts, that's why I'm asking the proper way to do it.

I'm not trying to seem snobby with my response, but it's not going to a pro.

Really it depends on if you put the whole 1/4 in or section the 1/4.I sectioned mine because I only wanted to take the rusted area out.I cut the 1/4 where needed to be measured and double measured the new panel for fitment.I then put a 1" step roll on the new panel and inserted it behind the upper part of the 1/4 / drilled a few 1/8 holes and held the panels together with clecos while I tack welded the panels in several areas.I then pulled the two panels together tight with clecos and welded a solid seam the entire length jumping from spot to spot on different parts of the panel to keep the panels from warping from heat (make sure they are tight B-4 welding).After welding the entire panel grind her down to smooth the welded areas and you're off to body work.I use All-Metal filler on my seams.If you have any knowledge of welding and fabricating go for it you can do it.Hey we all got to start somewhere and you learn a lot by mistakes (and we all make them)even though they can be costly.Just ask questions as you go because FABO has the best group of people in the world on here and they are very intelligent plus most questions are answered by several people with different opinions sometimes, but they all seem to work...... Some may go about it different than me and their way works for them,but this is my way and it works for me...Good Luck on the 1/4's
Leonard

quarter1.jpg

quarter2.jpg

i dont know what you mean be joggled it lol sorry. but i know a buttweld with backing will make it easier and strong seams. but then its harder to hammer it out and if you dont get the metal completly covered in some kinda rust protectant it will collect moisture and rust quick. so i would probably do just a regular butt weld. idk if that helps lol

i dont know what you mean be joggled it lol sorry. but i know a buttweld with backing will make it easier and strong seams. but then its harder to hammer it out and if you dont get the metal completly covered in some kinda rust protectant it will collect moisture and rust quick. so i would probably do just a regular butt weld. idk if that helps lol

jogglevsbutt.jpg

The body metal of the left would be joggled, or flanged. The right would be a standard butt weld.

Thanks for the input guys.

I just finished mine on my 71 demon. I bought the AMD full 1/4 and it was nowheres near as hard as I thought it would be. I used a torch and melted out the body lead to see where it needed to be cut. Drilled out the spot welds removed the old panel. Slid the new 1/4 into place. A few minor adjustments, drilled some new holes and then put it on and welded it in place. Bit of bondo to fill the seems and presto, good as new. Did this outside beside the garage in the summer time.

kenny b

new side.jpg

Hey Sin, that 'joggle' will work. On the tops of the quarter make real sure your panel is in the right place. Get a spot welder and hit the seam making sure the panel is as tight as you can. leave a couple of inches between the spot welds and skip around some to avoid any heat isues even though you wont get much from a spot welder. Now, I have done this and it is a cheaper way, you can get the panel lined up and drill a small hole and use small sheet metal screws on the flanged area. When you weld up the seam and start the process I would not go beyond 1 inch at a time and skip all over the place to avoid warpage from heat and just remove the screws along the way and weld up the holes. Use LOTS of cheapo vice grips on the lowers of the quarters to hold everything in place.
On the bottoms clean the entire area up that you are welding to with a grinder and about every inch and a half drill the hole and line up the panel and use vice grips to hold the area where you are welding. Kind of like a spot weld if you will, but just repeat this process over and over until you have welded in all the holes and just grind away to remove extra weld. Believe it or not you dont want this thing air tight on the bottom as you do need some breathing for metal sweat in the different temps weather wise. If you dont like that a light bead of clear tub caulk will seal up your quarter.

A note of concern about that flange you are making for the top of the quarter. When you are welding it up try to avoid any real hard pushing to avoid any ripples or distortion as as you weld the distortions will remain and when its welded up it will be a pain to get the flaw out and in some cases you may not be able to without using lots of torch time and sponges in ice water to shrink the metal. With that flange you are making it will make the metal twice as thick and twice as hard to correct issues. Be firm but gentle and consitency throughout and your result will be good. Lots of luck, enjoy!!
Chas.

i like that joggle lol. that will work great i would think. i am just starting on auto body so am still learning all this. thanks for explaining it

As Kennyb used the AMD full quarters........I wouldn't use anything else but the full quarters. Easier to install and require less body work in the long run.

Yeah but cant get them for a Dart Swinger yet. I may want to do mine again with complete full ones as I have the quarters that go to the top of the panels on now. They are good but I guess if they start wearing out I could re-do them. By that time full quarters should be out.
Chas.

new car pics 015.JPG

How ever you do it man, good luck!! You are braver than me. I hate body work and I know how much people like to gripe about bad bodywork. There are enough smart guys on here that will walk you through it.

-
Back