Installing temp guage sensor(aftermarket)

-
no need to drill, tap, cut or anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there is a plug in the water jacket right here!!!!

Hey, guys. Thanks all around!

Well, I got all excited and ran outside to check and now I'm bummed again. I remember that plug from 2yrs ago when I put in the trio gauges. I was going to try to put the oil line there. I didn't know what was behind that plug, oil or water. I tried taking it out back then and it wouldn't budge.
I went and looked at the plug just now and unlike the one in the picture (which looks to me like a 3/8 plug), mine looks like it's 1/4", just like the hole in the head. In other words, same issue different spot:angry7:.
Cudamark, after sleeping on it I'm not so eager to drill. Mainly because I'm a poor man and I can't take the risk. I honestly think I could do it, but a mistake would be costly. This is my primary ride.
I'd almost have to get a different waterneck, wouldn't I? The one I have looks like it's too small to go poking a 1 inch probe in it.
I was at O'reillys today and asked about the radiater hose coupling (another great idea). The guy has been there a long time and didn't know what I was talking about. I bet the guy at the local NAPA will, though.
I'll keep ya'll posted.

Hey, guys. Thanks all around!

Well, I got all excited and ran outside to check and now I'm bummed again. I remember that plug from 2yrs ago when I put in the trio gauges. I was going to try to put the oil line there. I didn't know what was behind that plug, oil or water. I tried taking it out back then and it wouldn't budge.
I went and looked at the plug just now and unlike the one in the picture (which looks to me like a 3/8 plug), mine looks like it's 1/4", just like the hole in the head. In other words, same issue different spot:angry7:.
Cudamark, after sleeping on it I'm not so eager to drill. Mainly because I'm a poor man and I can't take the risk. I honestly think I could do it, but a mistake would be costly. This is my primary ride.
I'd almost have to get a different waterneck, wouldn't I? The one I have looks like too small to go poking a 1 inch probe in it.
I was at O'reillys today and asked about the radiater hose coupling (another great idea) the guy has been there a long time and didn't know what I was talking about. I bet the guy at local NAPA will.
I'll keep ya'll posted.

how many freeze plugs on the drivers side of the block have?

I still would rather plumb a T in the heater hole outlet than drill the head.

The nipple that the top heater hose mounts to on the side of the head screws in, doesn't it? If I could get it out I could put a T there. Is that what you're saying? If so, then there's my solution.

The nipple that the top heater hose mounts to on the side of the head screws in, doesn't it? If I could get it out I could put a T there. Is that what you're saying? If so, then there's my solution.
That's the one I'm talking about. That heater hose nipple is a pipe thread so as long as the last guy wasn't a numbskull and put some anti-sieze compound on the threads, it should come out with a pipe wrench. As for freeze plugs, the '60-67 have 3 and the '68-up have 5....all on the driver's side. (In this country anyway!)

Payday I'm buying new heater hoses, fittings, t-stat, and antifreeze and will hopefully put this behind me. I like the fact that I'll still be able to fix my original gauge later if I choose, and I probably will if my fuel gauge ever kaputs. Thanks

Well, I flushed the cooling system thoroughly, Replaced the thermostat and pulled the heater hose nipple with no trouble. $23 for brass fittings. Replaced the heater hoses. Wish I had a camera, I'd post a pic. It all came out looking real nice and neat. The new temp gauge works fine now. I'm convinced my old t-stat was opening early. Now I can watch the gauge and when it hits 180 it drops back to 170 and stays there. Steady 40 lbs oil pressure and the clatter is gone. I'd say she's running mighty fine. Heater still doesn't blow hot and both hoses are too hot to hold so I'm gonna start a new thread in the heating section. I really appreciate everybody's help and patience. This issue has bugged me for a long time and now it's fixed.
Thanks FABO, you rock!:cheers:

Well, I got me a digital camera, so I thought I would post pics of my temp sensor installation. Maybe it will give others an idea of how to do it.

DSC00388.jpg

DSC00387.jpg

DSC00386.jpg

DSC00389.jpg

DSC00390.jpg

DSC00385.jpg

!70 is too cold for a slant. Put your 195 FACTORY stat back in and call it a day. I Lived in South Texas for years and still say you will get better mileage and better performance out of your slant and as an added bonus it will last longer too.
Frank

!70 is too cold for a slant. Put your 195 FACTORY stat back in and call it a day. I Lived in South Texas for years and still say you will get better mileage and better performance out of your slant and as an added bonus it will last longer too.
Frank
It's a 180 stat. My gauge is reading ten degrees low because the sensor is outside the head. I'm not opposed to installing a 195 but EVERYTHING I've heard has been that 180 is correct. Not arguing, just asking- are you sure?

-
Back