Instant throttle response !!

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
I drove a 68 Ford mustang into to the shop last week to do some glass work on it. I noticed that the throttle response was like "NOW!" It had the fastest throttle response I have experienced on any type vehicle. When we popped the hood we found it had a Eddy carb and a direct linkage (No cable what so ever) from the accelerator pedal. I was shocked that the Eddy performed as well as it did because I have never had any luck with Eddies. The engine however was a healthy build small block with aluminum heads on it.

Just wondering if a direct linkage has a effect on how instant the throttle is or was it just way the engine was set up??

I would like to have that kind of "zap" to mine but don't know if there are direct linkage available for the 67 cuda I have.

I doubt linkage.
probably tune/cam.

Well it looks like I need to get back to the drawing board with my engine then. The Ford engine compared to mine made mine look like childs play. I could understand if the Ford engine had other items on it to make it pop like that but I guess it does matter down to the fine line. The heads might hold the key here sooooo. They was aluminum http://www.brothersperformance.com/...-heads-72cc-chambers-stud-mount-complete.aspx

Tuning is were itss at,its a fine balance between the carb,your foot and timeing.Tuning:axe::axe:Its a tough one.

Part of it may be a VERY short advance curve. You can overdo this on a street engine, because with some cam/ engine combos you can have so much advance at low engine RPM that you won't develop the torque you should.

(The answer to every build is NOT to put in a "locked distributor" at 35-40*!!)

The cable/ linkage has nothing to do with it.

Get the right distributor curve. Loose springs and lots of initial timing along with the right carb setup and you will feel it.

Tuning is were itss at,its a fine balance between the carb,your foot and timeing.Tuning:axe::axe:Its a tough one.

Part of it may be a VERY short advance curve. You can overdo this on a street engine, because with some cam/ engine combos you can have so much advance at low engine RPM that you won't develop the torque you should.

(The answer to every build is NOT to put in a "locked distributor" at 35-40*!!)

The cable/ linkage has nothing to do with it.

Get the right distributor curve. Loose springs and lots of initial timing along with the right carb setup and you will feel it.

I understand what you are all saying but I have never felt such quick throttle response even on a EFI car which does not require tuning.

I guess you have gathered by now that the response was pretty quick because I took time to make a thread. LOL

Time to stroke your 340 or 360,then you can play with zee Mushtang!LOL

I have already to in consideration that the stang was a stroker. I saw the owner of the car come in and talk to my boss but I didn't have a chance to talk to him. We still have the car at the shop so I will ask the owner what all he has in the engine before the car leaves.

My AVS is a twitchy as a Siamese cat.....In fact I don't even need to run it on the richest pump shot.

That's with a 390" stroker , 12" of vacuum and an XS282S cam as well.

I do have a nicely curved dist (made 2/10ths and 2mph when I had it curved by a pro)

I've never understood the complaints about the "Edelbrock stumble" ...go figure! :)

-
Back