Instructions/tips on camshaft change

-

fnaramore

POWEEERRRRRR
Reaction score
Everyone on here has been a great help on getting my car up to spec and I am coming to my big final question! I am changing the camshaft on my 1973 Dart swinger and would love any detailed instructions, tips, pictures, anything on changing the camshaft. My dad is helping me but it has been 33 years since he has done something like this and it was on a chevelle; so again, anything you guys have from complete instructions to something as minor as what timing chains are best would be incredibly useful. Thanks so much to everyone!

Keep the water pump bolts in the correct locations.

X2.Buy a new water pump,anyway.Your there. Pull bolt,by bolt. Insert into the new casting. When swapping,use the old water pump,as a reference,insert the bolts,same positions on the old pump.

change out front seal on timing chain cover..while you have it off

Use a double roller timing set, not the crappy stock replacement. Use plenty of assembly lube on cam and bottoms of lifters. Follow proper breakin procedure.

Degree it.

Use cam gear or a long bolt as a handle when installing.

Make sure it turns smoothly once installed .

Buy a roller cam and lifters. The profiles make so so so much more power, and you'll never run the risk of a wiped lobe or three.

I know it's more money. It's also money extremely well-spent.

I don't know about the rollercam thing I've seen some have problems and a nice vodoo lunati solid or hydro make some serious power. I also think everyone is talking about the camplate bolts and gear bolt when it's coming to the loctite and I concur with it. One other thing use thread sealer on the WP bolts not RTV.

I hope we haven't started to scare you with all this. I remember when I was a first timer (not saying you are, just sharing personal experience) all the little things scared the crap out of me. I don't know how you prefer to do things, but if I want to learn something new I buy a book. Yup, I'm one of those nerds. Anyway, this is a good one with lots of useful information.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Small-Block-Mopar-William-Burt/dp/1613250584/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1372806858&sr=1-1&keywords=Small+block+mopar"]How to Rebuild the Small-Block Mopar: William Burt: 9781613250587: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Is the engine in or outta the car? Might be a good idea to prime the engine with a drill down the dizzy hole once everything is in.
As badsport said, get a dbl roller timing chain and gears.
Make sure before fire up that you have engine on TDC #1 cyl ready to fire. Or approx 10* BTDC.
Garden hose and fire extinguisher ready just in case.
Good luck!

Oh what engine is this?

Cam retainer bolts, one may have a small hole thru the center of it, make sure you put it back in the same spot.

-
Back