Instrument cluster Lights no worky on 65 Cuda

-

FoothillTom

Reaction score
Hi guys, before I bore you with the whole story, perhaps someone can tell me if there exists a wiring diagram for a 65 Cuda. Perhaps in some original shop manual or later publication?

I searched this forum but my search powers are clearly broken as I couldn't find anything obvious.

My current dilemma is electrical gremlins. Nearly everything works, which is great, but I've got the following problems:

* Instrument lights are out
* Stock tachometer doesn't work

I've measured 12V across the fuse for the dash lights and see a corresponding drop when turning the rheostat on the head lamp switch so I believe this rules out the switch.

The little red lights between the two main gauges also work, so I don't believe it's a generic problem.

Does this old cuda have a printed circuit board for the instrument cluster?

At this point I realize a wiring diagram would go a long way or some basic advice.

Thanks!
Tom

Yes, the 65 does have a PCB. One of the leads could have broke. Take it out and have a look. Takes about 30 seconds to fix.

What do you mean you measured "across the fuse?" If you ACTUALLY measure "across the fuse" (one probe on one end, the other probe on the other), you should measure ZERO volts.

But maybe you mean to measured from the fuse to GROUND?

Here are useable diagrams:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

Click "wiring/ electrical" and select your model year

65 Valiant diagrams, close as we'll get:

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1965/65ValiantBarracudaA.jpg

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1965/65ValiantBarracudaB.jpg

On the A diagram, find the light switch and see "inst" follow the tan off to the right, down to the bottom and off the page to "B" diagram

Notice that this tan is the OUTPUT of the dash dimmer, and GOES TO the inst. fuse AFTER the light switch. The dimmer gets it's power from the tail lamp supply coming to the light switch at "B2"

So with lights in park or headlight, that fuse should be hot, depending on the dimmer setting.

Note that the wiring changes to ORANGE after the switch, which feeds ANY lamp off the dimmer, IE cluster, ashtray, radio, heater, etc.

I had the same problem. Only mine went out then I turned out my high beams! I put in a new light switch, and still needed a new circuit card. It had two breaks in it. Now mine work perfect! The cards, and lack of a ground seem to be the problem usually. The cards are of pore quality. But I imagine not bad for the tec in 1965. I also added a physical ground from the card ground screw to the body of the car. Hope this helps a little.

If thew turn and other indicater bulbs work, chissis ground is good. Lack of illumination may be simply bad bulbs. There are only 3 or 4 for illumination and they have a lot more hours on them than those other 4 bulbs. I choose to replace every bulb at once with sylvania 2825. Its a slightly brighter long life bulb. Available everywhere at approx 5 bucks per pair. Happy moparing

What do you mean you measured "across the fuse?"

Bad phrasing on my part...you are quite correct, my test light ground wire was connected to ground.

I really appreciate all of the information and suggestions. It was raining and kinda miserable today (finally raining in Northern Cali) so I spent 0.0 hours with the fish today. I plan on getting out there soon and getting these electrical issues licked.

I'll keep ye posted. Good bunch of Joes here...solid information quickly delivered. God bless this forum and you lot.

-
Back