Instrument Cluster Removal???

-

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm sure it's on here somewhere but, how do I remove the instrument cluster from my 74 swinger? Details Please.....

Simply remove the screws and pull the unit toward you and reach behind and unplug everything. It's pretty easy. The only problem might be the ammeter connections. They're bolted down and do not unplug. A ratcheting wrench is a life saver. Make sure you cover the steering column, it's easy to scratch it with the instrument panel.

All proceedures start with remove the negative battery cable.
Set the parkbrake or scotch a wheel. We'll be pulling a column shift down to neutral. The plastic filler piece beloow the column comes of next, remove 4 screws lift out, bottom first. Sometimes the get caught under the inst. panel.
Remove 1 lower bolt from right side of column support then remove nuts from 2 upper studs and lower the steering column.
Remove all visible screws from top and bottom of instrument bezel. Locate the speedometer cable sheath comming through firewall grommet and pull/push the cable toward the instrument cluster. It should push the cluster away from the dash.
Now you should be able to see and reach the harness connecters at headlight switch, etc... The round main harness connecters can difficult. A shot of WD-40 helps. If you use any prying tools between harness conneters at printed circuit board/s , use plastic only.
At the speedometer you'll see a white plastic limb which works like half of a wooden clothes pin. Squeeze it toward the cable and pull straight away from the instrument
Harness connecters at amp gauge are actually ring wire terminals with 3/8" hex nuts. Then the wiper switch connecter and done.

The speedometer cable can be a pain I heard.

-
Back