Instrument Cluster

-

kickywow

Reaction score
anyone have any tips on how to remove the instrument cluster on a 71 dart swinger, i have all the screws and bolts out, but I can't seem to get it out its stuck. has anyone had this problem.

Nick

Have you dropped the steering column? The column needs to be hanging down a bit to get the cluster out.

First disconnect battery then unbolt steering column from dash and loosen at firewall reach behind and unhook speedo cable. take dash bulbs out by twisting black plastic holders (if you leave in you might break ears off holders)
i broke 5. wire harness is held to cluster by large metal clip get harness loose from clip and unplug the connectors one behind temp and other behind alt gauges then tip top out and disconnect alt gauge wires then pull out IT IS A VERY TIGHT FIT. when i put mine back i put cluster in and screwed to dash then but bezel in and put the top screws in and from behind screw about half of the screws that hold the cluster together back in , it helps if seat is out of car. spent about an hour fighting with mine because of the harness clip.
Mopar mech came over and he thought about it and remembered the clip.

This has been a topic in the past. My step by step removal is as follows.

First remove battery cable(s).

Take off the plastic bezel under the steering column, unplug the two wiring harness plugs for the steering column, undo the bolts and drop the steering column down,

Unhook the wiper switch plug, headlight switch plug, take both switches off the dash, unhook the speedo cable, unhook BOTH plugs from the back of the speedo housing, NOTE: be very careful not to bust any of the little contact pins while doing this. One of these plugs is just above near where the wiper switch was and the other near where the headlight switch was. Remove parking brake light from the back of the speed housing, remove the 5 screws in front and very gently remove the speedo housing. Again, be very careful not to hit them contact pins on the dash when taking the speed housing off. A little wiggle back and forth and just kind of tilt the housing down from the top (kind of like opening your glovebox) and the housing pretty much comes right out. Good luck!!
Chas.

interior before 004.JPG

That was fast, yeah i didnt look for the topic i was lazy and at school, but these instructions should help me and maybe motivate me, i want to cry over this car im so frustrated and finding it tough to keep going, is it possible to buy wiring for under dash?

Nick

A harness is not hard to find and someone on this site may have one. I would put an ad up on the parts wanted area and test the waters so to speak. Did you have a wiring meltdown or just a big time short? It may not be what you think. I would get that cluster out and see what is going on behind the cluster.
Chas.

A harness is not hard to find and someone on this site may have one. I would put an ad up on the parts wanted area and test the waters so to speak. Did you have a wiring meltdown or just a big time short? It may not be what you think. I would get that cluster out and see what is going on behind the cluster.
Chas.

i believe i have a short behind the cluster but anything may be possible....
am i wrong on that one....
my car is cursed

Quote:
i believe i have a short behind the cluster but anything may be possible....
am i wrong on that one....
my car is cursed

kickywow
Don't get discouraged ! Just tackle one thing at a time .All those little items will add up to a great result.:toothy10:

Thanks guys, im just trying to find the time, money, or drive to work on it. work and school are keeping me busy, ive decided to put my 360 in the car, anyone got a line on a cheap torque converter for the 360

-
Back