Instrument Lights

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
The instrument light behind the Speedometer is not working. It had worked and then it stopped. I tried replacing the bulb I also tried swapping the socket. From what I can tell all of the lamps are on the same circuit so if one works they should all. Where else can I look?

I'm not familiar with the 'Cuda PC boards, but some of these----

the board can become ungrounded

the copper where it contacts the socket can become sort of eroded

there's a couple of different socket designs, and one design has superior contact fingers

Anybody have any suggestions? I may have found another symptom. The gas gauge does not work when the head lights are on. I am sort of thinking it may be related to the headlight switch?

I would bet this is a ground issue. There are several issues with all these types of boards

The copper gets corroded, the screws get corroded, and the casting gets corroded where the board grounds to the casting, AND the casting may lose ground.

The pins to the connector(s) become loose, corroded. Solder them to the board if you can

The spring connectors for the voltage limiter do not necessarily make a good connection to the board. I soldered mine to the board

The copper around the lamp sockets becomes corroded or eroded away, possibly from heat and or arcing

The studs/ nuts where the gauges connect suffer the same fate--corrosion of the copper / nuts and studs, or just plain loose.

I suspect you have a major voltage drop somewhere. Possibly all the way back at the bulkhead connector. If this is the case that last light in the series is working just so dim you cant see it.

-
Back