Instrument panel light bulbs

-

kpagenk

KrisP
Reaction score
I have a '73 Dart Swinger and most of the instrument bulbs are #158. Most "replacement" bulbs are #194. Are these interchangeable?

They are the same socket but 158's are a little brighter and take more amps than 194's so it's possible they could cause a blown instrument panel fuse at some point.
Doubt it though.

The original "proper" lamps are in the shop manual, which came from the guys here at FABO, and can be downloaded free from MyMopar

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

You can find, if you google, numerical listings of automotive lamps. "In the day" we used to have paper references. These list the lamp size, socket type, and wattage, voltage, and amp (milliamp) draw.

Here's GE's modern version which I find almost useless

gelighting.com/LightingWeb/emea/images/Automotive_Lamps_Catalogue_EN_FR_DE_IT_ES_tcm181-12704.pdf

THIS ONE below is much better

vacuumtubes.biz/documents/GE%20Miniature%20Lamp%20Catalog.pdf

Just a random example, if you look up a 158, it's 14v, .24A and if you look at a 194, it is .27A. You have to consider, if you put a great big bulb in there "will it melt" the plastic around it?

I use Sylvania #2825. Slightly brighter than OEM long life bulb. Available most anywhere.

Thanks all. They also make LED replacements which should be brighter, but no amps are listed in the specs - so I will "go by the book" and use the #158 "as directed".

I'm gathering parts to redo my '68's dash. Super bright LED's sells various color replacement LED lights , so I am upgrading to them. I hope the dimmer still works with them. I should know in a month or two.

I've already replaced the rear brake/turn signal lights, front parking/turn signal lights and the front and rear side marker lights. They are all much brighter, especially the side marker lights which are the smallest.

I used a special flasher for the LED's , but still had to add the load simulators for the flashers to work.

The swap over is not inexpensive, but very much worth it as the increased light output brings the car up to modern day standards.

67Dart273; You have to consider said:
Couldn't that be corrected by using the dimmer to lower the amperage if that happens? :???:

Then you could figure out at what dimmer setting the plastic starts to melt.... #-o

And that would be the brightest setting that you could put your dash lights at... :glasses7:

I'm gathering parts to redo my '68's dash. Super bright LED's sells various color replacement LED lights , so I am upgrading to them. I hope the dimmer still works with them. I should know in a month or two.

I've already replaced the rear brake/turn signal lights, front parking/turn signal lights and the front and rear side marker lights. They are all much brighter, especially the side marker lights which are the smallest.

I used a special flasher for the LED's , but still had to add the load simulators for the flashers to work.

The swap over is not inexpensive, but very much worth it as the increased light output brings the car up to modern day standards.

Most bulb bases are designed to fit only 1 way which makes polarity predetermined. bayonet type bulbs such as instrument panel bulbs are not polarity predetermined. Since LED bulbs are polarity dependent, you'll put them in, test, rotate 180 degrees as needed to get them all working. Then you'll hope they continue to work. The few I have played with didn't fit the sockets well or bottomed against the blue tint diffusers. Some have found that just bumps in the road could make them come and go. Good luck

I didn't have good luck with LED's when I tried them in the dash on my 73 Dart. Don't forget that LED's come in two types, dimmable and non-dimmable. Not sure that will be an issue feeding them directly with DC.

Thanks RedFish. I looked at the site and saw that they clearly state that they are dimmable. A buddy has them in his Sport Satellite dash and they look great. I hope it works out. It would be a pain to have to pull the dash back apart to change them.

I've got my 150 mph speedo down being rebuilt. With the new drivetrain, the car should bury that needle.

Hey jbc, when this project is completed, would you posted your parts sources and list part numbers? I see led replacements all around my car in the future...

-
Back