Instrument Voltage Regulator 68 Cuda

-

DonnieLawson

68 Barracuda
Reaction score
While I have my dash on the bench and the Cuda in the shop I decided to upgrade the dash somewhat. The dash it repainted , new top pad , bezel re chromed , gauges cleaned up and needles repainted.
I got a new electronic Instrument Voltage Regulator to install .
After it arrived I see that looks like it wont go into the fuel gauge.
Is there somebody out there that has directions for this upgrade ?
Do I take the gas gauge apart , remove the factory one and re-wire this one externally ?

I'm also thinking about converting the ammeter over to a volt meter..

And what is the piece I have in my hand in the 3rd picture , it has a different connector then the voltage regulator I received ,
But I would have sworn that it was the regulator when I ordered the electronic one ....

Thanks

Donnie

View attachment RatRod 3-17-12 2012-03-17 003 (Small).JPG

View attachment RatRod 3-17-12 2012-03-17 006 (Small).JPG

View attachment RatRod 3-17-12 2012-03-17 007 (Small).JPG

View attachment RatRod 3-17-12 2012-03-17 009 (Small).JPG

View attachment Cuda Dash Restore resized0014.jpg

View attachment Cuda Dash Restore resized0010.jpg

that Voltage limiter is for dash not rallye style. Redfish (on FABO) makes a gauge and external VL for rallye dash for a good price, calibrated and looks very professional.

What you have in your hand (picture) appears to be a horn relay.

From what I remember you have to get new fuel gauge with integral 5 volt limiter. Nice job on dash restoration!

I don't think its a flasher , the blinkers and hazard flashers are still connected to the harness.... it could be the horn relay

Dash is completely taken apart now , all was working before I took it out over a year ago.
I 'm just upgrading some stuff while I'm waiting on the body shop.....
I did look up a horn relay for it and it looks identical , they have the same connector arrangement .
Now I want to upgrade the instrument voltage regulator and the ammeter

Oh yea..... Its a 68 Barracuda

Donnie

Attachments

• Suspension and dash resized0052.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 455
  • Suspension and dash resized0051.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 462
  • My Cuda Hanging sheetmetal Resized 0071.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 488
  • My Cuda Hanging sheetmetal Resized 0020.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 492
  • My Cuda Hanging sheetmetal Resized 0001.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 564
  • Suspension and dash resized0041.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 447
That is NOT a horn relay, it's an IVR for a "non-rally" dash. Notice the prong on the end of the case, which is ground, hooked to the case.

Who knows if it's the old mechanical kind or has electronic guts? IF it actually is electronic, and IF it is decent quality, you CAN hook it to the fuel gauge. The fuel gauge has THREE terminals. ONE terminal is the 5V OUT to the other gauges, temp, oil if you have one. If you disconnect the old regulator in the gauge to prevent shorts, you can hook the new IVR to the 5V terminal on the fuel gauge, and that should automatically "jumper" the 5V over to the other gauge(s)

2 different parts dart the first picture was a non rallye VL with the fuel gauge, the 3rd picture is of a horn relay.

there is a way to disable (cut the wires or remove all together) the internal VL in the fuel gauge I just do not know how. maybe someone with the experience with this can chime in.

In 68 the horn relay was still located out at the horns. The 68 has a similar looking component under the dash that is a timer for interior lights and lighted ignition switch.

I've serviced over 70 of these ralay fuel gauges during about 6 years. I've had at least a half dozen owners ask me if I can provide instructions for do it yourselfers.The short answer is no but, I dont like to be so blunt. I've chosen to answer that question with this question.
If I ask Tiger Woods how to plat golf, can I expect his lengthy explanation to make me a winner ?
I also add this.. When I first started , I went to swap meets and ebay and purchased 6 rallye fuel gauges. I destroyed 3 before I figured out a proper proceedure.
Today I can use parts from several gauges to build one.
Bottom line... The more damage you do to your gauge before you ship it here the more I'll need to repair or replace.
On a positive note.. I dont do this to pay my mortgage. Happy moparing is my only goal.
I dont have one dissatisfied customer either. Enough said.

-
Back