Insulation help for my garage with pics

-
hers would i would do i used to be a licensed carpenter-

1-take the stuff down that is up there

2-install a few more 2bys from the angled part of the truss(THESE ARE CALLED THE RISE PORTIONS) down to the lower cord of the truss(the horizontal pieces where the stuff sits
3-lay down some plywood of chip board to lay your stuff on incase you havent already by doing this its spreads the load of weight that is up there across many trusses
4-install vented soffit outside under the eves so you can get airflow upinto the roof so it doesnt cause any rot or mold
5-while the stuff is down install the silverboard on the angled part of the truss across the trusses like the plywood on the roof
6-this will insulate in 2 ways the boards holding your stuff will help keep the heat closer to the ground for now and the silverboard keep it from escaping:cheese:

I still am a licensed carpenter and currently supervising jobs for the biggest GC on the island , I gave you the cheap easy but would be happy to work with you if you choose to reconstruct the garage , I just was under the impression you weren't looking to drop 10s of thousands on it rather just looking to keep a little more heat in eh LOL

Sounds like he is going to need a bigger furnace.

I dont think so, 45 thousand BTU should be lots.

Cannucky, I dont/cant remember what you offered up for advice, but fire away.

This is what Im planning with help/advice here.
1. Im pulling out the old non-vented soffit and replacing it with vented. Before I install the new vented soffit, I will drill 2" holes in the old wood soffit that is hidden behind the aluminum soffit.
2. Run moore-vents every other truss(maybe every one) right up to the peak.
3. Cut with circular saw the roof cap, approx 1" down each side from peak. Install new ridge cap to allow air flow and re-cap with shingles.
4. Back inside and install the fiberglass pink.
5. Then poly(6 mil)

I got quote from the supplier and with me doing all the labor, I will be in for about $700.

Better/ cheaper ideas??

Thanks
Steve

I dont think so, 45 thousand BTU should be lots.

Cannucky, I dont/cant remember what you offered up for advice, but fire away.

This is what Im planning with help/advice here.
1. Im pulling out the old non-vented soffit and replacing it with vented. Before I install the new vented soffit, I will drill 2" holes in the old wood soffit that is hidden behind the aluminum soffit.
2. Run moore-vents every other truss(maybe every one) right up to the peak.
3. Cut with circular saw the roof cap, approx 1" down each side from peak. Install new ridge cap to allow air flow and re-cap with shingles.
4. Back inside and install the fiberglass pink.
5. Then poly(6 mil)

I got quote from the supplier and with me doing all the labor, I will be in for about $700.

Better/ cheaper ideas??

Thanks
Steve
I'll draw you a couple of rough sketchs of how to do the soffit , if you insulate in the rafter bays you have to vent every bay or the unvented bays will cook the shingles on the outside and sweat on the inside .I'll also sketch up some options for the top but the ridge vent is a good system if you don't mind doing the work just make sure you reshingle a couple of rows up to it before installing or you might leave some exposed bad spots from removing the cap , how old is the roof ? I see this is evolving beyond slamming up a few sheets of foil board eh ! LOL

Hey Chris, soffit on one side is done. I will send you a pm. I kinda figured I would be stuck venting all the trusses.....

-
Back