Insurance while racing street car?

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Finally got off my butt and got Hagerty insurance. Another members dad's car accident in his 67 dart finally got me off the pot.

But they specifically said insurance would not pay out if racing.

Bandamere mega mopar is comming up and I wanted to race my stock 67 convertible, didn't even think about insurance till the agent said not covered.

What do you all do for insurance, liability, prop damage, comprehensive uninsured motorist while racing your street car?

I agree BUT... I recall a member here mentioning that he got hit by another driver on the strip, turned infront of him to exit strip early or at the wrong place.

No ones insurance would cover the danages.

I don’t know of any companies that will cover you when racing. You can get specific race car insurance, but it is spendy.

Kinda like wantin health insurance goin to an aids infested whorehouse. Not gonna happen.

I rember going to Mexico (TJ) in the 80s and buying car ins at the border.

Seems like a low risk way for companies to make money!

You buy 1 or 2 days worth of insurance.

Dana, I think you'll be alright for about 20 seconds at a time ! Probably safer than driving to town to a car show 1
LOL...
upload_2020-11-9_13-40-45.png

Most all insurance is suspended once car is in pit area. On smaller tracks that can include most the grounds. So racers beware.

Most all insurance is suspended once car is in pit area. On smaller tracks that can include most the grounds. So racers beware.
I spoke on the phone with a Hagerty agent. They told me their insurance is in effect while the car is being driven or towed to or from the track, while the car is in the pits or paddock at the track, while the car is parked or driven normally on track property. The only time the Hagerty insurance is not in effect is while the car is actually racing on the track. There are classic car insurance companies that allow absolutely no track activities, Hagerty is not one of those.

Back in '70's when I took my parents '71 Road Runner to Fremont Raceway, Dad calls his insurance agent to report it. Don't know what happened, but I'm sure if the rate/coverage was increased it was not valid on the drag strip. Dad (a "cowboy") was only worried about his own liability, he could care less about my interest/hobby in bracket racing.

At that same time, I wrote a letter to a car magazine (I believe it was called "Super Stock Magazine") asking about insurance while racing. The magazine published my letter and answered it by saying tracks carry their own insurance. I never found out what, if any, insurance Fremont Raceway carried and neither do I know (to this day) what it may have covered at that time.

The answer to this question should be common knowledge, but it isn't.

I spoke on the phone with a Hagerty agent. They told me their insurance is in effect while the car is being driven or towed to or from the track, while the car is in the pits or paddock at the track, while the car is parked or driven normally on track property. The only time the Hagerty insurance is not in effect is while the car is actually racing on the track. There are classic car insurance companies that allow absolutely no track activities, Hagerty is not one of those.
Hagerty may be different. I asked Farmers. And they said in "Racing areas." Which included the pits.

If you have an accident at the track, tow it to the street and then make your claim.
I have seem that kind of answer on previous questions on car insurance.
My thoughts are: the head office of insurance companies are made up of lawyers that specialize in probability. They have folks on their payroll that deal with claims multiple times everyday. Good insurance companies pay out on legitimate claims and don’t pay on fraudulent claims. They do that to protect their customers and shareholders. If you think you can outwit someone that on a daily basis makes a living sifting out the chaff from the wheat, well then that is just you. My take is they have already seen that scenario and know very well what it looks like.

Last edited:
I've been with State Farm for 40 years. They'll let me race if I sign a waiver while I'm on the strip. They don't cover anything there. I guess that limits me to street "driving". I would look at Hagerty or one of the other classic car insurance companies, or just don't race your "fragile" classic cars.

I have seem that kind of answer on previous questions on car insurance.
My thoughts are: the head office of insurance companies are made up of lawyers that specialize in probability. They have folks on their payroll that deal with claims multiple times everyday. Good insurance companies pay out on legitimate claims and don’t pay on fraudulent claims. They do that to protect their customers and shareholders. If you think you can outwit someone that on a daily basis makes a living sifting of the chaff from the wheat well then that is just you. My take is they have already seen that scenario and know very well what it looks like.
My brother was an adjuster for years. They can smell bullsh** a mile away, and they have field agents to prove what you've been doing. Get pricey insurance, or don't risk your classic car.

At the tracks I have been to, the disclaimers are on the entry forms and the admission tickets in black and white. The track is not responsible for any damage or injuries incurred while attending /competing at any event held at the facility.
I also think your private health insurance may have disclaimers for injuries sustained while in a "competition".
I have agreed value insurance from Hagerty and my car is not covered if I race it.

If you want to take the risk....you risk it all.
Lots of us take the risk every now and then.

I hit the wall twice after doing 4 or 5 360's at the track at around the 1000 foot mark because of water on the track, I was the second set of cars down after a rain delay, first set of car where already complaining to track officials about the wet track. Went through the whole insurance thing with the track, now this was around 15 years ago. At that time I found out that all NHRA track where insured through one insurance company and their policy was. The racers are responsible for the condition of the lane you are in, whether it is safe or not to go down and that you(the racer) should check the lane before you go down it. So I said to the insurance agent, that the track does not allow anyone on the track once racing starts. There answer was that is the tracks policy not there's and there is nothing they can do about that. Did you catch the catch 22 in this scenario I found it funny, and by the way "no" nether my insurance or the track's paid out, all damage came out of my pocket accept a used set of bumpers the track owner paid for and I was thankful for that.

Hagerty may be different. I asked Farmers. And they said in "Racing areas." Which included the pits.

So your truck that tows your car would not be covered if parked in the pits and hit by a race car... not likely.

Unless they specifically define the racing area, the pits are not a racing area. Racing area generally are active competition sections. Staging lanes are not generally racing areas.

What an agent might tell you and reality is sometimes miles apart. Had plenty of agents tell me something and it's not so. Read the policy and ask the corporate office where the exclusions for the activity are located in the paperwork.

Last edited:
At the tracks I have been to, the disclaimers are on the entry forms and the admission tickets in black and white. The track is not responsible for any damage or injuries incurred while attending /competing at any event held at the facility.
I also think your private health insurance may have disclaimers for injuries sustained while in a "competition".
I have agreed value insurance from Hagerty and my car is not covered if I race it.
Personal injury to yourself or another person is indeed the question.

If you have an accident at the track, tow it to the street and then make your claim.
dont you think the adjust is gonna take on look at your trail of oil and coolant and follow it back to where your paint is smeared all over the wall at the strip?

You boys are not using your imagination. Tow it home! Sprinkle car parts around. Do a couple of burnouts to imitate skid marks. In Cali you can only shoot an intruder in your house. So, you shoot him outside and drag his body inside.

-
Back