intake advise ?

-

pagilman

Reaction score
Hi, i have everthing for my 340 rebuild, hot pistons. hot stick, reworked X heads, and I am broke. I have a stock 360 iron intake off of a 78 roadrunner and a thermoquad, size unknown off a challenger. Would you guys use the intake and quad for the street or wait untill i have the money for an edelbrock air gap and a demon carb? My buddy told me a stock iron intake makes 15 less horse power than an eddy. this car is strickly street, but must be able to beat my son in law's nova 350 with 11.5 to 1's/ Any input would be appreciated. Your mopar brother Walt :scratch:

pagilman said:
Hi, i have everthing for my 340 rebuild, hot pistons. hot stick, reworked X heads, and I am broke. I have a stock 360 iron intake off of a 78 roadrunner and a thermoquad, size unknown off a challenger. Would you guys use the intake and quad for the street or wait untill i have the money for an edelbrock air gap and a demon carb? My buddy told me a stock iron intake makes 15 less horse power than an eddy. this car is strickly street, but must be able to beat my son in law's nova 350 with 11.5 to 1's/ Any input would be appreciated. Your mopar brother Walt :scratch:

I am broke;use the stock 360 iron intake and thermoquad

Throttle linkage is different for 2 bbl, and 4bbl,
so If your converting,from 2 bbl; don't forget that too. ;)

hi, the stock cast iron manifold will work just fine. also the T.Quad will flow more than enough air/fuel to motor. the T.Q. is rated at 750 to 800 depending on primary bore sizes. as for 15 horse less??, the stocker 340/360 run this combo, and will run deep into very low 11 secs. in fact, a 1971 340/duster held the ES/A record at 10.74 @ 122 mph, with a cast iron intake/T.Q setup. the T/Q should be worked on by a shop, that knows T.Q carbs.

The only drawback to the iron intake is the weight. Its a great street manifold with a TQ. The jets are very hard to find for the TQ, though. Give it a quick rebuild and see how it works. Play with the secondary flapper to eliminate any bogging. You might surprise yourself. good luck

don

If the iron piece is what youve got then run it. I ve used iron intakes with the TQ and been very happy. I'm one of those weirdo's that actually likes the TQ and would use it over anything else. But then Ive got a strip kit for mine...you can roll your own more or less on jets by drilling them out and as for the accel pump shooter you can drill them as well. Pick up a used TQ at a swap meet, Ive bought any number of them for 5-10$ - just for parts.

First off, for parts and helpful advice on how to do what and why, talk to Dave for a pointer or two. His services are excellent, click here; http://www.thermoquads.com/

I shy away from giving tricks on the T-Q. But the carb itself should be looked at very carefully to make sure everything is set right. Since you like them, you know that the secondary door should also be attended to carefully for quickest opening rate without problems.

Secondly, if you have some time to work on the intake, for max effort with that inatke, deep port the runners (1 inch should do it well) to gasket size along with the heads.
A catch 22 mod is milling the divider down and rounding off the edges.
The mod will lose minor low end torque while giving a top end boost.
MoPar does (Or used to ) have plastic open T-Q sized spacers.

One or two of these spacers can be used in conjuction with a Wilsons manifold spacers for the spreadbore Rochester carb.

If you have floor jets in the intake, close them and make them as flush as possible to the floor of the intake.

It is my opinion that you should look at the single plane MoPar M-1 for best hi end performance to be used along side the T-Q. It would be tricky to out do the Edelbrock RPM, but I think the potential is there to excellent if your willing to go this route.
The biggest trick to it all is tune tune tune that carb.

I ran a thermoquad and iron intake for 3 years. With headers and a comp Cam. The car was a mid 13s car off the squeeze, mid 12s on it. It even passed CT emmissions for all the time I had it. One of the best factory intakes is the '71 T quad, the later is close, but a little les desirable because of the egr, floor jets, and extra vaccum switch ports. Just run it. You can always change intakes later.

Again...the 'staff' is correct. I like the TQ myself also, and ran one for many years. The steel TQ manifold is a good piece , as stated, only negative is the weight factor, they are heavy. For street duty in a high-performance application it is as good as anything out there. Only when you get into very large cams with a bunch of overlap will the TQ be more difficult to tune than the Holley or Demon carbs. Good luck, Terry.

hi, how much overlap is too much for these carbs? why would it be harder to tune? just like to know why and how?

Tried to use the TQ with the Mopar 292/.509 cam. Overlap is 76* with this cam, TQ didn't like it very much. Not enough vacuum for. The smaller Mopar cams were great with the TQ. Holley's have so much more parts available to you to tune it 'in'. JMHO, Terry.

pagilman said:

Spring for the Edelbrock or Mopar intake and the Demon carb.

hi, I went back and found a cam card on my old stocker cam. specs are; 314/322 dur, 260/266 @.050. 108 lca, overlap is 102 deg. with the cast iron intake and T.Q carb, it worked just fine!! had to resize air bleeds some. it would idle good. as for vacuum? had 8-9" at idle. the stock and S/S motors have to use the T.Q. carb, they seem to make them work quite well in fact.
on a street motor, can't beat them for throttle response. there's no shame in using them. lol

Terry has a point with the stock T-Q. Not many people know how to do air bleeds on a T-Q.
I hope perfacar can post a how to. :-\"

-
Back