Intake and carb choice

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
I'm throwing in the towel on the tunnel ram. More then I can chew. I'm looking into single intakes. I'd like single-plane as I like the look. Motor is 440 .030 over about 9.5 to 1 compression. Mild port iron heads. 4.10 gearing 3500 stall. Mostly street driven. I'd also like to stay with holley carb since I've gotten ok at working my way around them

With 4.10's and a 3500 stall I would go Holley Street Dominator and maybe a 1" 4 hole spacer if you have the room.

If you have to have a single plane then yes but if not then the performer rpm is a great manifold. And yes, a 950HP will be a nice carb.

holley street dominator or edelbrock torker, i seem to recall some dyno tests where the torker did very well

I was running two 750 Holley HP's on a tunnel ram on a stock stroke 440. It ran perfect on the street with no ill effects. You will be fine with the 950Hp plus you will have enough carb on it when you put a set of heads on it in the future.

I'm throwing in the towel on the tunnel ram. More then I can chew. I'm looking into single intakes. I'd like single-plane as I like the look. Motor is 440 .030 over about 9.5 to 1 compression. Mild port iron heads. 4.10 gearing 3500 stall. Mostly street driven. I'd also like to stay with holley carb since I've gotten ok at working my way around them

why give up, what happened?

It's just never ran right always rich. Idle rich that is I'm down to 60s for jets. I'm really in over my head. Fixing a head gasket now so it's opportunity

I'd go RPM or Street Dominator in that order. With a Edelbrock Torker II or Weiand 7512 as the racier stuff. Pair it with a Holley Avenger 770 VS or the oldschool 4150 850cfm DP.

im using 2 edelbrock 600 1406's on my tunnel ram and it runs real good on the street. super easy to set up. maybe its just the carbs just giving you fits.

Edelbrock RPM intake with an 850 carb would be my choice. With your stall and gearing I think the Victor would make a little more top end ( 6000 rpm +),but since it is primarily street driven I would go for the dual plane RPM intake.

Jets don't do anything for idle. You have a fairly large camshaft which is going to complicate things a little.

Is it rich on cruise? How have you indentified which circuit to adjust?

How do you know it's rich? Have an A/F meter?

If it's at idle and low speed cruise, lower the float level 1/8 of a turn on all float bowl adjusters. See if it helps.

Cruise at low speed is idle feed restrictors that do the metering.

Rob you could be right. And I'm not so sure that's not part of the issue the cam that is. I can try lower floats

Agreed but I thought he wanted a single plane?

The RPM is tough to beat.

Yup. And it has the tunnel ram because it looked cool too. The RPM is what he needs, looks or not. The others will work, but the RPM will work best all around.

Dang, hate to see ya give up on the tunnel ram. Are those 1850s?
Is the rich at idle problem your only reason for giving up on them?

I believe it's rich on idle because when in the garage with door open the fumes will run you out. I was also dealing with a back fire through the exhaust when I'd get on it and let off. I noticed jetting down it got softer but has never fully went away. I didn't really have any knowledge of tuning and still really don't. I felt like dropping to 1 carb and simplify things would help me better get the motor in tune

-
Back