intake bolt hole stripped

-

johnniesrotten

Reaction score
I just replaced the intake on my 360. I put in new ARP bolts and started to torque tbe ones you can get to with a torque wrench. While doing the 2nd one from the front on the drivers side. it stripped tbe hole out. I got a longer bolt and the hole is definitely stripped. Anyone know how to fix this other than pulling the head?

You can get a helicoil kit at most auto parts store,,

If it's the 2nd hole,, you will need to take the Valve cover off,, put cloths at the end of the hole , to catch the machinings, so they dont get into the engine, drill and helicoil hole,, clean out,, and repalce V/C..

hope it helps

this happened to me once at the track so I removed the vc and found a longer bolt then ran it down through until it stuck down far enough to put a 3/8" coarse lock nut on it ,then ran the rest of season forgetting about it, took a long time trying to figure why the manifold bolt wouldn't come out after the season was over it just keep spinning ,so it never was a problem until disassembled . but this might not work on that hole.

Heli-coil kit as mentioned should fix you right up. Really only a few minutes for actual repair of hole. Again, protect all open areas while drilling. I like to clean & masking tape off area like you're going to be painting.

this happened to me once at the track so I removed the vc and found a longer bolt then ran it down through until it stuck down far enough to put a 3/8" coarse lock nut on it ,then ran the rest of season forgetting about it, took a long time trying to figure why the manifold bolt wouldn't come out after the season was over it just keep spinning ,so it never was a problem until disassembled . but this might not work on that hole.

Was thinking the same thing....tapping cast iron that big is fun...not.

Installing a helicoil is easy. Cast iron is soft so drilling and tapping doesn't take much effort. It would be a good idea to pull the intake to catch the shavings though.

Grease on a drill bit would capture most of the shavings. You could probably catch the rest of shavings by pulling the valve cover. Shove a rag with grease smeared on it right under the hole your drilling.

That's a good trick. The only reason I mentioned he pull the intake is because he's in the middle of installing a new one so pulling it shouldn't be much of a hassle.

That's a good trick. The only reason I mentioned he pull the intake is because he's in the middle of installing a new one so pulling it shouldn't be much of a hassle.

True he is. I use a smear of RTV gray around the ports so in my case it would be new gaskets & clean up. Maybe he could save his?

This is the way I am gonna go, I think this will work just fine,

Grease on a drill bit would capture most of the shavings. You could probably catch the rest of shavings by pulling the valve cover. Shove a rag with grease smeared on it right under the hole your drilling.

Also, put a shop towel down in the lifter valley to catch the chips. You may also go to the local hardware store and get a few bar magnets and place them on the shop towel under the hole while drilling, so the magnet catches most of the chips.

-
Back