intake don't fit

-

zac_F71

Reaction score
Anyone ever had a intake not fit IE, the bolt holes not line up?

I am trying to bolt it down, and gave up after auguring out the holes to 7/16" or so..

I have a 71 383, never been milled, OOTB stealth heads, MP shim head gaskets, Felpro intake gaskets, Edelbrock torker 383 intake..

Heads are OOTB stock, no milling - it is a Torker 383 intake LOL doubt it's a 440 intake..

Younggun - I just tried it with no gaskets on top and all 8 bolts started.. so I'm safe with just RTV around the ports to the valley pan? - I have paper gaskets under the valley

To be honest I don't want to augment the intake more than it is LOL

Also what should I torque an aluminum intake to? My 68 service manual says 50ft/lb LOLOL I know not to go that high, but just curious..

The valley pan IS the gasket. There is no need for paper gaskets with the valley pan.

I have never used a torque wrench on a intake. Tighten it down evenly side to side, work from the center out, use a criss cross method.

If it's too wide, then you need to put it on a manifold compressor...

If it's not wide enough, use a manifold stretcher...

Heads are OOTB stock, no milling - it is a Torker 383 intake LOL doubt it's a 440 intake..

Younggun - I just tried it with no gaskets on top and all 8 bolts started.. so I'm safe with just RTV around the ports to the valley pan? - I have paper gaskets under the valley

To be honest I don't want to augment the intake more than it is LOL

Also what should I torque an aluminum intake to? My 68 service manual says 50ft/lb LOLOL I know not to go that high, but just curious..

i just clean all the surfaces with rubbing alcohol and a lint free rag. then lay the valley pan in place and attach the valley pan hold down bars keeping the gasket lined up with the ports. then drop the intake on and install all the bolts. WITH ALUMINUM HEADS YOU MUST USE ANTI-SEIZE. if you dont your car will blow up and burn to the ground. then start from the middle bolts and criss cross from the center out.

Different parts fit together differently. When I swapped from 452s with pan and gaskets to Sidwinders my RPM wouldn't go with just the pan.

Machine shop said it was a little out of square so he took 15 thou of to get it straight and made all the bolt holes the same diameter and it dropped right on.

bathtub gaskets go on dry when new, as they are embossed. used ones can use the useless paper gaskets or paint on a little indian shellac. I remember intakes going on at 35ft/lbs. On an LA, its the thick cork end seals that prop the intakes up over the holes. ditch them and run a bead of RTV when its torqued down.

Lmao There's some great posts on here! Oh man! Manifold stretcher, blow up and burn to the ground! Thanks for the laugh fellas! Great to see good advice and humor!

-
Back