intake installation dilemma

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
I just put an alum intake on my 360. I didn't realize until afterward that I forgot to put the throttle bracket under the 2 bolts in the drivers rear. can I remove the bolts & finish it out or do I have to redo everything? I used permatex #2 the brown goo on the ports and RTV on the water ports. iron heads if that makes a difference. thank you for your time. RR

IMHO if you unbolt one bolt put that part of the bracket under the bolt, get it as close as it can be and snug it up then do the same with the other bolt, then retorque you should be ok

Not speaking from experience here, just my intuition. I can't see pulling 2 bolts, while everything else stays fastened and not disturbed, causing issue. Lord knows intakes have to be pried up when all the bolts are removed. If it were mine I would go ahead without much worry.

There is absolutely No reason to Goop the bolts with anything.
Back the bolts out, put on your bracket, and torque to spec.
Done

There is absolutely No reason to Goop the bolts with anything.
Back the bolts out, put on your bracket, and torque to spec.
Done
Well, that's arguable. Without sealant on the intake bolts, since they are drilled all the way through the heads and into the valve cover area, they are subject to crankcase pressure. That means oil can actually migrate up the bolt threads from the positive pressure exerted by the crankcase. It happens.

I agree - 1 bolt at a time. I usually do it that way (add bracket later) anyway. You might want to wait for a few days and let the RTV sealant around that water passage set up some before you do it.

I got to thinking...

My bet is the OEM built engines without the knowledge of what car it will go into.

If a bracket goes under a particular bolt it probably was done later on down the line. Most likely just before engine paint.

Just a thought!

I have done that before without any issues.
Both bolts all the way out, reseal the threads and back in.

good comprehensive thoughts. I did goop the bolts on install. I will try & tighten the bracket with one bolt as much as I can & still be able to swing it around for the other bolt if I can. most of the bolts I couldn't get a torque wrench on so I guestimated how tight I got em (in order)so they may be less than 35 lbs.

good comprehensive thoughts. I did goop the bolts on install. I will try & tighten the bracket with one bolt as much as I can & still be able to swing it around for the other bolt if I can. most of the bolts I couldn't get a torque wrench on so I guestimated how tight I got em (in order)so they may be less than 35 lbs.
When I recently installed my tunnel ram, I did not torque any of the intake bolts, I pulled until quite snug with an 6" wrench. After initial running, and drive, I checked all bolts and they were still all snug. I've had no issue of any kind.

Last edited:
I’m a bad bad boy. I’ve never torqued an intake, valve cover, oil pan, transmission pan, ujoint, carb, flex plate bolt, rocker shaft, or rocker adjuster. I’m a rebel.
Me too. Rods, mains, and head bolts.

I have never had any crankcase ventilation come out of an intake manifold bolt hole. In case you haven't heard of PCV valve. That means positive crankcase ventilation which means it would be sucking on those bolt holes for those bolts not blowing. Now I have seen plenty of engines with lots of blow by but as I said I've never seen a single one that was putting it out through an intake bolt. And I never put goop on my intake bolts. My bad. And yes I have taken bolts out and bolted brackets on and tighten them back down and never ever had a problem with a vacuum leak.

I don't use a torque wrench on intake manifold bolts either I have a clicker elbow. It lets me know just when to stop. I do use RTV around the water passages and then on the China wall corners for where the Heads Meet The Block.

Last edited:
Rapid Robert, just take the bolts out and mount the bracket. It's not detrimental.

I never use a torque wrench on an intake that isn't plastic, even then ...I, like others , have a feel for it.

I see people glue them, grease them, rtv them. Do whatever you want ... but consider what the factory was doing before you goo everything up and squeeze it all into the port windows.
I see people use spray paint as sealer.

Whatever.

I’m a bad bad boy. I’ve never torqued an intake, valve cover, oil pan, transmission pan, ujoint, carb, flex plate bolt, rocker shaft, or rocker adjuster. I’m a rebel.
I do flex plate and rocker shaft now that I run aluim ones but never did in the past

If you must, use the proper thread sealant, and NOT silicone or rtv

download (1).jpeg

-
Back