Intake Manifold Dilemna

-

bongy337

Just a guy who loves old mopars.
Reaction score
Hello Guys,
Just need an opinion. I've almost finish completing my 360 motor for my 1980
Volare Coupe. I have a couple of intake manifolds but trying to make a good decision on which to use. I have an Edelbrock Performer and a 1971 340 cast iron unit. There are several of my buddies telling me that the factory cast iron outflows many of the aftermarket intakes, but not sure if it would benefit my combo. My 360 is bored 0.060 over, with SpeedPro H116CP pistons on stock rods, Comp Cams XE262, "308" heads, TQ #6322 carb, 1" 5/8 Dynomax headers, 727 with 2800 stall converter and 3:91 gears. I haven't installed the intake yet, cause its on loan from a friend. I just don't want to dump money into an intake that may or may not benefit the motor. Any advise would be appreciated.
-AL

The Performer has small ports that match 318 size ports, you would likely do better with the factory iron intake.

A Performer RPM or RPM Air-Gap would be the hot ticket though.

If you want to keep that TQ carb then stay with the factory intake. The '71 factory spread bore intakes flow very well. Only down side is the weight.

Ethier intake will do. The Performer will have more port velocity and the potentail of better mileage.
The 340 intake will have a better top end. The larger port window will allow more air and fuel at higher RPM's.

IF it were me, I would use the 340 intake with your set up. That's just me.

Correct me if I'm wrong but he said that he has 308 heads and they are 360 late models, not 302's. With that small of cam it might be better to error on the side of caution and go with the iron 340 manifold. But this is JMO.

If it's the 71 manifold, with the last three of the casting number being 100, you have the best TQ manifold Mopar made. So the stock eliminator guys tell me. The high compression, Thermoquad 340 (71 only) was rated 10-20 hp higher by the NHRA than even the 68-70 motors. Food for thought.
I don't know how the flow numbers stack up against a large port performer, though. The performer is as far as I know the only aftermarket 4 barrel that has the offset water neck, important if you are going to use the late model aluminum small air conditioning compressor, or are putting the motor in a newer vehicle.
I hope this helps,
Alan

-
Back