Intake manifold for 225 slant 6

-

62 valiant

Reaction score
Wanting to replace the org. Manifold with a 2 barrel carb set up. Also need to replace the gas pedal and linkage to a cable. Any suggestions on what to use would be very helpful.

Wanting to replace the org. Manifold with a 2 barrel carb set up. Also need to replace the gas pedal and linkage to a cable. Any suggestions on what to use would be very helpful.
Slant six .org will have a lot of useful info . Detailing everything you need donor vehicle etc.

On my 1980 Volare automatic,I noticed no difference with the 2bbl, vs the single, when using the original single exhaust. No extra power, no extra torque, not even better mileage.
I kindof think this is an all or nothing swap.
I was just looking for better fuel mileage. At least it wasn't any worse.
Good luck.

The 2bbl will improve driveability, performance, and mileage quite a bit if the swap is done correctly and thoughtfully; AJ/FormS' experience is not typical; clearly there were other problems with that car that didn't get addressed.

The pre-'67 cars make special issues because of their rotating-rod throttle linkage. When Super Six cars were plentiful in the wrecking yards, the easiest path was to swap in a cable-type accelerator and associated linkage. Those cars are now all but nonexistent, so you may want to proceed otherwise. See the parallel 2bbl setup article. Photo documentation of a very well done such conversion (on a '62) is here.

Yes, the stock undersized exhaust pipe is a bottleneck you'll want to address sooner or later. No, it does not determine whether or not your 2bbl swap improves things.

62 valiant, I agree with Dan, with the change to the SuperSix set-up, driveability, performance and mileage is greatly improved, executed with thought. Now if you can locate a Super Six set-up this is a factor that you must deal with, they are not easy to find now. Maybe e-bay. I have the Super Six set-up on 225 SL6 in my 70 Challenger. I'm using a 2bbl from a 318 (280 CFM), Mopar elect. ign. W/ orange box and HO Accel coil. Open element air cleaner K&N filter. Hooker Headers 3into1, 2.25", real alum. Pipe 2.25" dual exhaust w/ H pipe crossover, 2 glasspacks out to back. Auto.(904) w/ B&M shift improver, 8 3/4 (742 case) 3.23 gear set. It works great and I don't believe I've over done anything. It's efficient has decent power and mileage and have been driving it this way for years. Thanks, Al

Re throttle cable, I don't know about 1962, but 1964+ cars have provision on the firewall to bolt up the throttle cable used those years w/ V-8 option. But, even if you have that, finding such throttle cables and plates is tough today. Better to consider a universal cable solution from Lokar, or maybe retrofit something from a newer car in the junkyard. Indeed, I saw someone had done that in an early-A in the junkyard a few years ago.

Finding a 2 bbl intake and associated parts (kickdown lever, ...) in a junkyard today would be especially lucky. PicNPull links to Row52 which lets you search all junkyards within xx miles. You are 40 miles from me, and I almost never see any Mopars older than 1985 today, other than vans and trucks. When there is a car, one member here is almost always on it, but he leaves comments on Row52 about condition and what parts are left, which is very helpful. Another option is a 4 bbl aluminum manifold. You see them on ebay regularly and a few years ago someone stumbled on new ones on J.C. Whitney at fantastic price (~$150), but they were snatched up in a day. With 4 bbl, you could use a small 390 cfm Holley, or even fuel injection such as EFI Tech (~$1000).

I used a Bouchillon kickdown cable and a Hemi throttle cable (shortest one I could find) with a super six intake and air cleaner and a 2bbl Carter clone from China (the super six Carter had issues). Already had a 2.25 exhaust system. This setup improved drivability a lot, I think, particularly hill climbing and wide open throttle. It's hard to tell how it affected mileage, since I am tending to leadfoot it more by treating it as a small V8 rather than resigning myself to the slow lane. But I've taken it over Sierra passes and all around the NoCal backroads, and on extended freeway high speed jaunts on I5, and it's definitely a Good Thing all around.

-
Back