Intake Manifold Gasket ?

-

73318duster

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Edelbrock 3776 Intake Manifold to install on my 318. I went to the local performance shop and was told to buy the Edelbrock gasket and use RVT sealant, not to use the FelPro Gasket because it tends to break apart. My friend who has a 73 Satellite with a 318 installed a 2176 and a edelbrock 1805 on his and claims that the Edelbrock gasket did not work and he had to buy the FelPro Gasket, but his car is now experiencing hesitation when he tries to accelerate. Any thoughts and which one is the one I should go with? I am also installing a 1405 carb with this.

:newb:

Your parts guy must have stock in Edelbrock. Use Fel-Pro.

Looks like your in Cal, so with the mild temps in the winter,and hot temps in the summer,I would suggest getting a gasket that blocks off the heat crossover.
Fel-Pro 1213 is the gasket I use. Don't use the end seals, instead use a healthy bead of RTV on them.

The key will be on the instalation and technique. When you get to that point ask more question. It will be the difference between doing it once or three times.

I have used both. Either one is okay. I always throw away the cork or rubber front seals and use silicone along the front and rear edge, taking special care to get a good bead where the head / intake/ block come together. I used the Edelbrock on my 318, and just Tuesday night I replaced the gasket in my 408 and used Fel-pro. They are both quality seals. Feel confident using either.

I think I am going to order the FelPro gasket as well as the carb studs. This is going to be my first time doing this so hopefully all goes well.

I recently purchased a Edelbrock 3776 Intake Manifold to install on my 318. I went to the local performance shop and was told to buy the Edelbrock gasket and use RVT sealant, not to use the FelPro Gasket because it tends to break apart. My friend who has a 73 Satellite with a 318 installed a 2176 and a edelbrock 1805 on his and claims that the Edelbrock gasket did not work and he had to buy the FelPro Gasket, but his car is now experiencing hesitation when he tries to accelerate. Any thoughts and which one is the one I should go with? I am also installing a 1405 carb with this.

:newb:

Thoughts on your buddy's hesitation.....Vacuum leak somewhere around the intake, or improper instalation.
Like I mentioned, know how to do it before you start. Otherwise you will be doing it again.

sometimes you have to tune the carb..lol

i dont see why either gasket wouldnt work, as long as they are thick enough to fill the gaps , the port windows r the same and the bolts line up ok.

yeah thats what i was thinking but according to him a "pro mechanic" completed his installation. you cant talk sense into this guy. Instead they made it run rich to keep it running which makes no sense but yeah.

Well I am going to make sure that I am careful with the installation. being that it is my first time doing it there is always room for error but I will try my best

Pretty easy repair. take it slow and easy. Order cork valve cover gaskets as well, not the rubber ones. The important part is to make sure there is a nice bead of high quality silicone across the front and back and make sure there is a good bead at the short edges where the head, intake and block seal. Use a little 3M weather adhesive along the bottom edge in a couple 1" spots to keep the gasket from moving on you. Torque to 35 ft/lbs, Start in the middle and tighten one side then the other and work your way out. This is a very easy procedure. Outpatient and released the same day. Put rags across the open motor when cleaning off the old gaskets.

Your parts guy must have stock in Edelbrock. Use Fel-Pro.

Looks like your in Cal, so with the mild temps in the winter,and hot temps in the summer,I would suggest getting a gasket that blocks off the heat crossover.
Fel-Pro 1213 is the gasket I use. Don't use the end seals, instead use a healthy bead of RTV on them.

The key will be on the instalation and technique. When you get to that point ask more question. It will be the difference between doing it once or three times.

I total agree with this post i would just add after using rtv giving 24 hours for the rtv to cure.if not it will leak.Just my opinion.

Nope use Permatex The Right Stuff gasket maker and the 1213 Felpro Gasket. You will have an intake runner mis-match using this intake gasket but that doesn't cause a problem. If you used a Eddy RPM Performer intake and some 360 heads there would be no runner mis-match.

I used the felpro print-a-seal gaskets. Tuned out just fine. Was a stock cast iron intake though. I put a few posts in a thread here somewhere.
A lot of comments were posted about the size of the silicone bead that replaced the cork end gaskets.

Good info here as dad and I will be putting his intake on this weekend. We got a complete felpro kit, so maybe just toss the end gaskets away and go with the RTV...or chk and see if we can get Permatex here.

Remove the dowl pins too. Clean the holes and let the RTV create an anchor in those holes.
I used a off brand less expensive red colored high temp rtv found at Oreillys. No problems with it.

Remove the dowl pins too. Clean the holes and let the RTV create an anchor in those holes.
I used a off brand less expensive red colored high temp rtv found at Oreillys. No problems with it.

So Ben, remove the dowels and leave them out??

So Ben, remove the dowels and leave them out??

Yep, The dowl pins and holes are the weakest point in the cork end gaskets and same would apply to a rtv bead if around the pin. With the pins left out the rtv fills all the voids.
The cast iron intake is a heavy rascal to sit in place. I put 2 pieces of allthread rod in 2 bolt holes of the left head to guide the intake down into place.

We use a Motorcraft RTV here at the shop. It is the best we have ever used. We use it on everything. It comes in a caulk style tube that uses a small caulk gun to apply. No need to cure. I did my intake the other night, put everything back together, popped on the valve covers and started her up.

Doing my intake gasket this weekend too. Thanks for the input, that will help out... And save me from making a post later about it.

I have been trying to get my intake to fit onto my engine for awhile, today, after taking the cork end strips off the block and, taping the gaskets to the intake for a trial fit, using a drift to align and put a bolt in one at a time, I finally got it to set down nice and snug. I am using thin Fel-Pro gaskets. Will they be ruined or can go ahead and take the intake back off now and put the RTV on it and a good bead front and back and use the same gaskets [sure hope so]?

-
Back