intake manifold question

-

cowboyup1107

Reaction score
I pulled my intake manifold off today and discovered that the the center small hole is completly clogged with a hard residue that looks like tar. it was clogging my heads and most of the center port on the intake. does anyone know what this is caused by and what I need to do?

thats the exhaust cross over,if you have a factory choke it may never open or take a very long time to.its plugged with carbon,if its tar-like it may be running rich or using some oil or both.ive seen it before ,its not that uncommon.unplug it.

It is carbon, from the exhaust being forced back up through the center of the intake for warmup. This is the job of the heat exchanger on the passenger side exhaust manifold, to remain mostly closed until the thermocouple spring on the outside of it warms up, and holds the flapper open.

Of course on a true performance set up, you don't want heat under the carb, so you block those passages off. But you sacrifice cold engine driveability and and warm up when you do that.

the driver side was the worst and the driver side header scraped and has a hole in it and i dont know how long the previos owner drove it like that

Quick tip!When chipping scrapeing off the carbon chunks,use a shop vac for sucking up the crap as you go.good luck.

-
Back