Intake manifold question

-

Batesy

Reaction score
i want to remove this tree and plug it. I have read one person saying a 1/2" pipe plug and others have said an oil pan plug. Anyone have a part they have ordered or can anyone confirm what they have used in this situation with size? Many thanks for your responses.
image_zpsc7252d5c.jpg

Ok did the same on my 360. I drove to the local ACE hardware store with the part in hand and asked what size it was and told the. What it was for. A few moments later in the NPT pipe section and I was out the door. An automotive store could very well surpply a plug or single vacuum fitting for you.

The hole is pipe thread. I use the recessed allen type plugs for appearance.

Did the same on my 318 Ramcharger. All my emission crap is gone, so I only needed vacuum for vacuum advance, brake booster, PVC and cruise. All that runs off my carb. I just used pipe plugs from the hardware store.

Thanks everyone. For the record, the slant six manifold takes a 3/8 not a half-inch. I have it installed now.

Thread sealer wouldn't hurt. I would use teflon pipe dope or gasket sealant. It will only leak air, and a negligible amount.

Is thread sealer or teflon tape needed?

I've been having very god luck with a product called High Tack.

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/...ts/permatex--high-tack--gasket-sealant-detail

Fast-drying all-purpose sealant dries to a highly tacky, non-brittle film. A reliable general adhesive remains tacky indefinitely – can be applied in advance for convenience in assembly. Remains effective at temperatures of -65°F to 500°F (-54°C to 260°C). Sensor-safe. Resists gasoline, oil, antifreeze, axle lube, kerosene, propane and butane.

Same product I use. I coat bolt threads that penetrate into water or oil, and coat paper gaskets. Not sure it helps much in sealing a gasket, but it sure makes removal easier since it dissolves in ethanol. No more scraping.

I normally wrap the tape around twice. Just to be sure. Old parts can still seal well but when they get old and used up a lot, round becomes oval though it looks round....
Tape is cheap and takes 2 seconds to wrap around. Worst case, I wasted 2 inches of tape.

-
Back