Intake Manifold # question

-

Gib Warnick

'65 Valiant signet
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Before I get my intake plasted to paint I wanted to confirm it is the correct intake. The # is 2536563. Guy I bought it from said it was for a '65 273. My parts book says #2465727 for '65 Commando 273 Valiant. I haven't found this # on any of the websites. Anyone able to identify it for me? Thanks, Gib

Before I get my intake plasted to paint I wanted to confirm it is the correct intake. The # is 2536563. Guy I bought it from said it was for a '65 273. My parts book says #2465727 for '65 Commando 273 Valiant. I haven't found this # on any of the websites. Anyone able to identify it for me? Thanks, Gib

My source shows the following

2465726 273-4 (1965)

2536536 273-4 (1966-67)

It does not show either of the # you listed. However my source could be incomplete... Hope it helps!

You will have to "hog out" the mounting holes in order to fit the '64-'65 heads.

Hey Gib, I used to buy VW parts from an old guy in Mt. Airy. He had a lot full of VW's across the street from his shop, maybe on the south(?) side of town. Is he still around? I lived in the area from summer of 92 until summer of 97.

Thanks for the heads up Ramcharger- I had the Restoration catalog-but forgot about the info in the back. It appears that what I bought is for a '66 273 Commando car-won't work on my '65 heads. I guess once again that you need to verify #s not just take a guy's word-even a Mopar guy......
Somewhere out there someone will need a correct one for their '66 car. I guess maybe I'll start searching for an aftermarket intake- Edelbrock's was a D4B I think? Thanks again, Gib

I see it listed for the '66 and '67 273 as a HP manifold. Look on page 147 of this document. http://www.mopar.ca/en/accessories/restoration/2007 Restoration Catalogue.pdf

Hey Gib, I used to buy VW parts from an old guy in Mt. Airy. He had a lot full of VW's across the street from his shop, maybe on the south(?) side of town. Is he still around? I lived in the area from summer of 92 until summer of 97.
Quite a move from MD to S. Dakota, 64 Cuda. I have lived here since 1980. Maybe the guy was Ed ....... Has a shop on a side street with 2 bays and a parking lot in front. If it is him, he has kind of shifted to the BMW crowd and is into SCCA racing... Nice talking to ya, Gib

GIB search e bay vintage car truck parts,,type in offenhauser,,i see them for the 64/65 273 once in a while,, they are hard to come by,,im currently having offenhauser valve covers made,, i will e mauil my contact and see if the intake is available new,, but like bob said search PAW,,,
that would be kool if PAW still had one,,

GIB my e mail is [email protected] e mail me ill see if they have any or stil have the mold,,,

great news for early 273 guys,, offenhauser still has the molds and makes 4 different intakes for the 1964/65 273 motors,, i was surprised to learn,,,
if you are intrested in ordering a NEW 4bbl or a new 2x4 intake for a early 273 e mail me [email protected] i will put you in touch wit hthe correct guy,,

here is his reply please read it,,,print it,, save it,, spread the word,,and check PAW they may also carry it,,, here is the reply

make a special order (about 3 months) intakes for the 64/65 273 mopar eng.. You have a few to chose from ! first... dual port single 4 part #6022DP, has great low/midrange response, price is $356.00. 2nd.360 Equa-Flow High Rise single 4, part #5699 priced at $342.00. this intake has more of a competition design, higher RMP range etc., 3rd. low profile single 4 very much like a factory type intake good street perf., part#5489, priced at $305.00. 4th. is a Dual Quad Low profile same design a #3 intake only 2x4s this is a lot of carburetion . for this engine! part #5488, price $376.00 Last but not lest 2x4 High Rise, more efficient then the 5488 but again a all out comp. type intake. part #5697, priced a $437.00. Please note the 2x4 intakes can only use AFB carbs! Holleys have a clearance problem on this engine. All of the above prices are plus shipping from Offy in Calif., prepayment at time of order! Hope this is of help to you an the rest of the SB Mopar Camp. Wayne

Well this is good news, but I've got a 360 Equa-Flow I'd sell for less than $342. Definitely right about being a bit more of a competition design, but I think it's a lot better than the factory single plane 4 barrel manifold that came on the early Commando motors.

I wouldn't recommend the Dual-Port. My personal experience with it was that it was only so-so in performance. I had a friend who used one on a 318 with a Thermoquad & another friend with one on a 350 Olds with a cam, headers, etc. & neither was very impressive. Just my .02.

remember these are older designs,,,the only reason i posted it was ,,early 273 intakes are very hard to find,, altho a little pricy,,it is comming direct from offy,,it is still cheaper then finding later model heads,,and redoing them,,

i was just trying to help the guy that got a raw deal on an intake,,

Yeah, I understand, & it's nice of you to provide this info & great that Offy can still provide something for the guys that are still running these engines. I also offered to sell Gib my intake but I told him up front that I didn't think it was what he wanted.

No matter what, either of those dual quads would look cool!

You are correct. The D4b is for the 64/65 heads and the LD4B is for the later 273 heads. Although I have heard of others doing what a previous poster mentioned; hogging out the intake holes in the intake that you have a bit to make them work. D4Bs show up on ebay and moparts.com from time to time. My wife found a D4b for me for my birthday for around $75 on ebay. They are out there at reasonable prices. Way more reasonable than buying a new offenhauser that works marginally better than the factory intake.

I found an Edelbrock D4B a couple years ago (online), bought it, and installed it on my '65 - 273 Barracuda. I also bought a brand new 650 CFM Edelbrock 4bbl to sit on top of it. I paid about $180 for the intake, but it was in very good condition, and I certainly didn't feel like I was getting ripped off (for the record, the new carb cost quite a bit more than the intake).

Anyway, if you can find a D4B, you'll probably really dig it - as it is truly vintage - just like your car. The only modifications you'll have to make are:

1) Switch to an electric choke. The D4B doesn't have a "mechanical" choke mechanism like the original intake. But this is truly no big whup.

2) Modify the linkage. This is a bit more challenging than the choke, but still not a giant whup.

My D4B doesn't have a place to mount the coil. I have to fab something up. No biggie.

Gib, sorry to hear you bought the wrong intake. I went thru the exact same experience so I now have an incorrect 66 intake that I cannot use. Keep your eye out, the 65 stuff can still be had.

By the way, your name sounds familiar. I think i bought a sway bar from you for a 65 barracuda 18 years ago. yes. that is a long time. If it was you that i bought it from, it works great!! Hope you find your intake.

pyp1000 is right about the coil....... I totally forgot about rigging up a firewire mount for it on my Barracuda. Again, no big whup.

great news for early 273 guys,, offenhauser still has the molds and makes 4 different intakes for the 1964/65 273 motors,, i was surprised to learn,,,
if you are intrested in ordering a NEW 4bbl or a new 2x4 intake for a early 273 e mail me [email protected] i will put you in touch wit hthe correct guy,,

here is his reply please read it,,,print it,, save it,, spread the word,,and check PAW they may also carry it,,, here is the reply

make a special order (about 3 months) intakes for the 64/65 273 mopar eng.. You have a few to chose from ! first... dual port single 4 part #6022DP, has great low/midrange response, price is $356.00. 2nd.360 Equa-Flow High Rise single 4, part #5699 priced at $342.00. this intake has more of a competition design, higher RMP range etc., 3rd. low profile single 4 very much like a factory type intake good street perf., part#5489, priced at $305.00. 4th. is a Dual Quad Low profile same design a #3 intake only 2x4s this is a lot of carburetion . for this engine! part #5488, price $376.00 Last but not lest 2x4 High Rise, more efficient then the 5488 but again a all out comp. type intake. part #5697, priced a $437.00. Please note the 2x4 intakes can only use AFB carbs! Holleys have a clearance problem on this engine. All of the above prices are plus shipping from Offy in Calif., prepayment at time of order! Hope this is of help to you an the rest of the SB Mopar Camp. Wayne
Do you think this is still valid?

Do you think this is still valid?
Hey Ulf. I think their catalog is a PDF file and kind of a pain but with a little time you can find what you need. I haven't heard of anyone buying any manifolds for the 64-5 273's but you never know.

Ulf - IMHO the offenhauser 2x4 manifold is pretty iffy. The runners are about 2 inches long and when opened up the front carb feeds the front 4 cylinders while the back carb feeds the back 4 - not optimal. I have a D-64 available if you are interested.

Ulf - IMHO the offenhauser 2x4 manifold is pretty iffy. The runners are about 2 inches long and when opened up the front carb feeds the front 4 cylinders while the back carb feeds the back 4 - not optimal. I have a D-64 available if you are interested.
Do you have a picture of it?

-
Back