Intake manifolds

-

MoparDaddy

Damn Right I Carry!
Reaction score
Is it better to have an exhaust crossover or not?
How does the exhaust crossover work?

It helps the engine run smoother in cold weather as it warms up. If you see fuel piddling from the boosters after you turn off the engine, or you can't hold your hand on the carb after the engine warms up, then you may have fuel percolation issues which can be rectified by blocking the cross-over. If you live in warmer climates, or only drive your car in the summer, you probably don't need the extra heat.

On a stock exhaust there is a butterfly valve like a stove pipe flu that is closed when the engine is cold that forces hot gasses back through the intake over to the other side and that heats the intake quicker on warmup.

Reason I ask is my truck is still running like a pig after changing temp switch and o2 sensors. I'm heavily considering a 4bbl. The aftermarket intakes I've looked at have no crossover. I want to make sure I don't hurt the motor

Is the engine a "LA" or Magnum?
A V-8?
Do you need to pass a smog test?

If a. "LA" engine, I have a Edelbrock Performer for sale in excellent condition painted Chryslers blue, $100 + shipping if it interests you.

Reason I ask is my truck is still running like a pig after changing temp switch and o2 sensors. I'm heavily considering a 4bbl. The aftermarket intakes I've looked at have no crossover. I want to make sure I don't hurt the motor

I am going out there!! do you see a catalytic converter on your exhaust ?
if so I would bet 10 to 1 it is plugged up and needs to be replaced :coffee2:
One night my son drove up the hill in his 86 dodge truck 3/4 tun and I could
see the thing glowing red, he removed it and it ran much MUCH better, faster and mpg went up.

Is the engine a "LA" or Magnum?
A V-8?
Do you need to pass a smog test?

If a. "LA" engine, I have a Edelbrock Performer for sale in excellent condition painted Chryslers blue, $100 + shipping if it interests you.

Oh sorry. It's an LA 360. Unfortunately I don't have money for an intake at this very moment. Just trying to do my homework for when I do. I believe I'm going with an air gap when I do it though. I sure appreciate it though Rob. :)

Smog tests can kiss the darkest spot of my pasty arse...

I am going out there!! do you see a catalytic converter on your exhaust ?
if so I would bet 10 to 1 it is plugged up and needs to be replaced :coffee2:
One night my son drove up the hill in his 86 dodge truck 3/4 tun and I could
see the thing glowing red, he removed it and it ran much MUCH better, faster and mpg went up.

That's next on my list. I have extra pipe in storage. I just need to get the couplers

Do what was done on splot. Cut a hole in the bottom of the convertor, clean it out and then weld the hole up. They would have to crawl under the truck to see it was modified.

I don't have a welder. So I'll just clamp on some pipe and call it stew

-
Back