Intake mod?

-

Seca900r

Reaction score
I`ve noticed other RPM air gap manifolds have a big notch cut out of the center divider, mine is not. I was thinking of doing it but wanted know what the advantage or disadvantage of having it notched would be?

Penny for your thoughts...
2po5r0o.gif

p.s. wouldn`t let me post in the fuel and air section.

Still a good section.

The gap was put there to help balance WOT air/fuel balance between banks.
My Air-Gap doesn't have it, My LD-340 has it.

its kind of like installing an open spacer.nothing gained down low,but added horsepower up top.how much?cut it out and see.if you do tell us

A dual plane has a better signal to the carb because the carb is effectively cut in half in terms of how the engine "sucks". However that tends to mean that oeak torque will be reached earlier (lower) in the rpm range and that horsepower will drop off earlier. By using an open spacer, or cutting the divider down, you can play with that signal and "fool" the engine into carrying the peaks further. It's a mod that was done mostly back in the 70s and 80s before better intakes existed. It usually has little or no down side at all, so if you have it, no biggie. If your intake is unmodified, I'd say choose the intake that best fits your application and don't worry about it. I'ev never done it myself but I have ran them before (usually a swap meet intake type deal). I do not believe any of the Edelbrocks are not cut from the factory but I could be wrong there.

Moper, some of the Edel. intakes have the cut in the divder, but not my S/B RPM. My LD-340 has it. I also have the LD340 with the MP book mods done to it. I want to try all 3 intakes at the track with various carbs on top just to see how it is and reacts, etc.......

one day, you all will know.

i think the majority of the older intakes that have that notch on the secondary side was for the Holley 3 barrel carbs that were popular in the 70's, the notch was there so the one large sec butterfly plate could open fully.

I`ve noticed other RPM air gap manifolds have a big notch cut out of the center divider, mine is not. I was thinking of doing it but wanted know what the advantage or disadvantage of having it notched would be?

Penny for your thoughts...
2po5r0o.gif

p.s. wouldn`t let me post in the fuel and air section.

Is this a "new" out of the box intake..or a used one you bought??..i've never seen one "new" with that notch cut out..

i think the majority of the older intakes that have that notch on the secondary side was for the Holley 3 barrel carbs that were popular in the 70's, the notch was there so the one large sec butterfly plate could open fully.

That's my understanding from back then.

I have 3 Air Gaps and none of them have the notch.

Moper, some of the Edel. intakes have the cut in the divder, but not my S/B RPM. My LD-340 has it. I also have the LD340 with the MP book mods done to it. I want to try all 3 intakes at the track with various carbs on top just to see how it is and reacts, etc.......

one day, you all will know.

How does the LD340 compare to the rpm/rpm ag?

How does the LD340 compare to the rpm/rpm ag?

If you have it already run it.

Depending on the combo, many times there isn't enough difference to justify a change. The guys at Edelbrock and Barton said the same thing.

No side by side yet. I've run the RPM-AG and the LD340 modded as per the Mp performance book. The MP modded LD340 was a serious screamer. It was also sporting a 850 TQ.

If and when the chance comes up, the fun will begin hopefuly this spring and have a zero deck height KB Hyper-U slug @ .030 - in a 360 with OOTB Edel. heads and Hooker super comp headers @ 1-3/4 infront of a 4spd and a S/S sprung 4.10 cogged rear in a 73 E-body Cuda. Painted a fantasic Kylon White and flat black hood ready to make the world puke on site.

*Carbs, intake, heads and cam subject to change without notice or reason.*

OH, and what Cracked back said.

yep.

-
Back