Intake question

-

dartman1965

Reaction score
I have a 97 Dakota with a 5.2 and have a question.It has the barrel style intake and has started running rough and using oil.Does the plate on the bottom of the intake go into vacuum or is it just a shield?I saw the gasket related to the pan and thought maybe.

vacuum. Look down inside the throttle body with the butterflies open , you will see oil laying in the bottom if the seal is bad.

there is a good you tub video on this problem with a 2 min test

pull the PCV valve and put your thumb over the valve cover hole feeling for some suction.
If the lower gaskets leaking it'll pull vacuum through the engine crankcase

Hughes I hate to use this name in public.

Hughes makes a repair kit to solve your problem. Others on this form have made their own plates so you might look that up.

HUG 7725

It’s not a bad job to do. Felpro makes a good metal backed gasket.

Well yeah, lol, it IS I've tore down a few of those engines and the majority of somewhere around 8 have broken / corroded off intake bolts. Evidently the aluminum intake does not go well with those bolts

Thanks for the info guys.It sounds like my problem with the oil use and all plus I have a vacuum gauge on the pillar and the vacuum has been dropping off,down to 15 inch's at idle.I hope it will wait till spring with no place inside to work.

-
Back