intake swap performer loss?

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
63 dart stock car 360 5:57 rear 2bbl rochester. I can use the weiand 8022 "stealth" intake on their now but it is so tall that I cannot close the hood. I'm allowed to use the edelbrock "performer" which is a bit shorter & the IMCA leader said that he would allow me to use the OE iron 2bbl intake which I'm sure is short enough to clear. the eddie might work & the iron one definitely will. how much loss can you predict if I drop down to the performer or the iron 2bbl intake? & it has 1&5/8 shortie headers. thank you for your time. RR

you'd probably not loose too much going to the performer, but i think it would be pretty noticeable on the iron unit.

have you tried a drop base air cleaner to see if you can get the hood clearance?

even with the drop base it is too tall. that weiand intake is TALL, but its ports sure look generous. plus there's the 4bbl to 2bbl adapter plate which it all adds up. RR

With a 2 bbl. carb you probably won't notice any performance loss with the Performer manifold. MAYBE with the 2 bbl. manifold, but that depends on which manifold you have. It IS the 360 2 bbl. manifold, right? That isn't a half-bad intake- kind of like a 2 bbl. version of the factory 4 bbl. manifold, only better one would be the 360 TBI manifold which could be redrilled for the Rochester and no adapter required, keeping the height down.

I'll get hammered for this, but is a cowl induction scoop legal for the class you will be running. I'd really like the Stealth if possible.

MY cousin ran the stock two barrel over the eddy for his late model, one of the open wheel guy's said on the dyno the stock made more hp, enough to make up for the extra weight up high given faster lap times.

Try both what ever gives better lap times go with that.

One thought- way back when we dirt tracked (WAY way back), we had to cut a hole in the hood above the carb anyhow (so track crew could extinguish carb fires). If that is still the case for you, it could be a moot point- run the Stealth.

This car ran 118 mph.......
At 3800 lb, 3.15 diff, 318 Poly, 9:1 CR.......& a 2 bbl.

img158.jpg

I ran the x-celorator in the car in my sig. thats with 4412 and adaptor and a drop base. let it bow up the hood a little. The hood is gutted right.

I am NOT a small block maven, but.....
have you considered the street dominator.? A low rise single plane, it's supposed to make great power and good torque.
Also, could you mill some height off the weiand carb pad, and use a thinner carb adapter? Is an A/C required?

have you considered the street dominator.? A low rise single plane, it's supposed to make great power and good torque.
Also, could you mill some height off the weiand carb pad, and use a thinner carb adapter? Is an A/C required?

Good call! That intake accels in the upper rpm range.

probably against the rules

actually I have a street dominator & the ports look good but the rules wont allow it. I just now brought home the performer & I'm gonna see how its height compares to the weiand that's on their now and to the iron 2bbl intake I have on the shelf. I need to find out if the iron one is a 360 one which professor said is pretty good (for what it is). milling the weiand sounds very good & doable. RR EDIT you mentioned A/C, did you mean air cleaner? no not required but I'd be afraid that that dirt track environment would eat up a engine fast.

Last edited:
Again, not great with the small block, but... port size on a 273/318 intake will have quite a bit less height than a 340/360 port.
A 360 intake gasket will tell you which iron 2bbl you have.

I wonder if that carb is “Legal” for the OP?

How many cfm’s George?

they require a rochester 2bbl & even have specs for the booster height etc. I cant believe the vast # of petty rules they have have for this entry level class for example no scalloped ring gear. they dont give anybody a chance to be creative & gain an advantage but I guess they want everything mechanically to be equal & rely strickly on driver skill (which I understand). RR

they require a rochester 2bbl & even have specs for the booster height etc. I cant believe the vast # of petty rules they have have for this entry level class for example no scalloped ring gear. they dont give anybody a chance to be creative & gain an advantage but I guess they want everything mechanically to be equal & rely strickly on driver skill (which I understand). RR
Must be a heck of a tech inspection!!!

How much height do you need to gain to run the Weiand 8022? Can you machine the carb base pad and/or adapter to get the height you need and is it allowed in the rules?

-
Back