Intake--With a Twist

-

GoFish

Have impressive member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an off-the-shelf small block efi-ready intake?

The only thing I can find for my 360 is the Edelbrock Super Victor, which seems like more of a race piece. Also, I don't know if it will fit under the hood of my '71 Scamp. I'm about to plunk down my $$ on a FAST efi system, but they don't have any intakes for Mopars. This kit is going to cost me nearly $4,000 (fastmanefi.com), so I really don't want to pay a machine shop to fab one up. I've already got the Edelbrock LA heads.

I've seen a gazillion intakes and efi systems for Chevy, Ford and even the ricers... :angry6: Sometimes its hard to be a Mopar nut.

What are you getting for $4000? Sounds like alot of money for efi and no manifold. I've seen complete systems for small blocks for less than that. I'll see if I can find the magazine it was in.
Bruce

Rich said he could BUILD one for me, but he doesn't have them as part of his kit. $4,000 is already big money, so I really wanted to avoid fabrication costs.

His quote included the following:

XFI ECU System: Wideband O2 sensor, software, etc. $1,600
Main ECU Harness 350
Fuel Injector Harness 120
Fast Throttle body, 1300 CFM, includes IAC and TPS 540
FAST Dual Sync Distributor 399
FAST Coolant Temp Sensor 13
FAST Air Temp Sensor 13
FAST Map Sensor, 2 Bar 86
55 Lb/hr Fuel Injectors, Pack of 8 550

Add shipping and tax and I'm just over 4k.

I'll add a fabbed intake if I have no choice, but I'd sure like to know if there's something already made to save me a few bucks. 'Course, if anyone knows of another quality efi system that can handle a 600 hp turbo 360 and costs less, I'd sure like to know about that as well! ;-)

Edelbrock has a complete efi set up w/intake,comp and ignition for a small block, part# 3526. Summit price $2719.95

Bob

try sd concept engineering, there super nice and extremly smart. 401-826-4400

mopar performance has a kit....i cant remember if it was around 3500?...let me know if you need more details as im a chrysler mechanic

You can get injector bosses and fuel rail from many sources (MSD among others) and have a local machine shop fit them to pretty much any intake. If you want multi port injection and decent heads for not much cash, start with magnum pieces. Junkyards are full of them.

Check out Hughes Engines. Their website seems to be having some problems right now or I'd have post a link for ya.

Unfortunately, the Mopar Performance efi kit is for Magnum engines, and I have an LA block with matching heads. The Edelbrock proflo-2 kit offered at the Summit website for Chrysler smallblocks (pn 35260) costs $3,119.95. Even so, the throttle body is too small for my purposes, and the injectors are only 29 lbs/hr, and I'll need 55-60 lbs/hr for when I'm in boost. It also only comes with a narrow band O2 sensor and I'll need a wide band sensor.

I just spoke with the turbo system designer I'm working with and he's going to see if he can get a better deal on the Fast system for me. If he can save me a few bucks there, it will make it easier to justify the cost of fabrication work on the intake.

I'll check with Hughes to see if they have an efi intake. That's where I got my stud girdle.

I have heard the Fast system is an excellent efi system, but damn that is pricey. Seems like you would be able to get the injectors somehwere else cheaper for sure, and maybe the throttle body.

As far as the intake goes, what makes it EFI ready?? As far as I know a lot of the newer intakes are cast with extra support for fuel injectors, they just need to be drilled to the correct size and then a braket mocked up. Shouldn't take much fabrication. The Performer RPM Air Gap that I was looking at has the injector provisions, and that would be a good manifold.

Good luck on the build though!! My dream is to one day have a turbo SB in my car.... one day.... let us know how it goes

My brother and I are running Haltech efi(E6X), they are cheap and easy to map. We bought it at www.tweakit.net. I would suggest the E11v2 flying lead kit or E6X(Flying lead=universal fit) Check it out.

-
Back