Interchange for a 65’ Barracuda

-

65MagnumFish

65MagnumFish
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I just found a source that has early a body cars being parted. I have a 65’ Barracuda and the source has 65 dart 2 door, 65 valiant v8 car, and a 66’ dart. Which parts would work on my Barracuda? I’m doing a magnum swap with a 904. Maybe I can find a drive shaft as well? Any help would be appreciated brothers.

All the 65's have a ball and trunion style front u joint. If you use a 66 and newer 904 you will need the 66 driveshaft. It should work but I'm not familiar with the wheelbase differences between Dodge and Plymouth.

The Dart has a longer wheelbase. Valiant and Barracuda have same wheelbase.

Doors interchange for all three models except convertibles have different vent window frame.

To swap a V8 into slant 6 car you need the motor mounts, the center link and the gas pedal throttle cable parts.

V8 cars have a larger radiator. You'll need a newer radiator to go with you magnum since the lower hose will be on the passenger side.

The V8 transmission is a different bell housing than the Slant 6. 65 is the last year for cable shift. You'll probably want to run a newer transmission so you'll need to figure out a different shifter. You'll also need a drive shaft with a slip yoke since 65 is the last year for the ball and trunion drive shaft. I'd say get the driveshaft from the 66, but the 7 1/4 rear axle probably won't survive behind a larger engine and if you upgrade you'll need a different length drive shaft.

Suspension parts interchange but V8 torsion bars are thicker, but if you're going to the trouble at least get some .870 bars out of a later model v8 a body if not stiffer.

If you’re extremely lucky, you may find a small block 727 from 1965, which would have the cable shifted shift and park operation, but have a slip joint tail shaft. A very rare trans to find, mostly in 273 equipped B body cars, but I always check every car just in case.

65 slants with AC had a cable throttle. the Val fenders are the same. Use a 68 or later trans to keep the magnum/68 or newer convertor snout compatability. Going with a larger rear? Get it all together them measure the driveshaft length. Id say just get a 8 3/4 Duster driveshaft but tolerances were all over the place and a custom driveshaft is worth the price, not too $$.

If you’re extremely lucky, you may find a small block 727 from 1965, which would have the cable shifted shift and park operation, but have a slip joint tail shaft. A very rare trans to find, mostly in 273 equipped B body cars, but I always check every car just in case.
I do have a newer 904 and I am going to roll with a slip yolk. Somebody mentioned that I need different pedal assembly for a v8. The mount and the brake are different along with the gas pedal? That an ac slant 6 car assembly will work? Awesome info. The 65’ valiant should have slot of the same sheet metal as the cuda I believe?

It's not actually the pedals that are different. The v8 setup has a sheet metal plate that bolts to the firewall with the gas pedal lever, pivot and cable. The cable goes through and up to the carb.

It's not actually the pedals that are different. The v8 setup has a sheet metal plate that bolts to the firewall with the gas pedal lever, pivot and cable. The cable goes through and up to the carb.
Hey do you have a pic. I might have that setup already. Awesome help. I’m a newly converted Mopar guy. Mechanic stuff is tough for me but the body stuff is my game.

-
Back