interesting hurst tower on evilbay

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Found a hurst shifter tower on evilbay #8779. Its got a reverse lockout built in so you have to push down to engage reverse gear setup.

I guess that was hursts solution to the left and fwd reverse pattern next to first gear everybody used back then.

Mopars solution was the orange light on the bottom of the dash.

I understand power shifting and all, but I don't understand why the indicator light for the A-833, other than DOT throwing a fit.

Reverse on a good Competition shifter has a pretty heavy detent to the left, next to 1st gear, which you should always be shifting away from. Have you ever tried putting an 833 in Reverse while moving forward? Its damned near impossible even when you are at speeds rivaling low idle and makes a hell of a racket. lol

Even when you're drag racing, it should be painfully obvious when you are in reverse, as you are staging. I understand the idea behind them, but in real life, I think reverse lockouts are as gimmicky as an Air Grabber.

Now, reverse lock-outs on A/Ts? That could be a good thing. Especially with a rubbery floor-mount shift mech.
I agree with DB. Ive been running A-833s almost continuously since 1970, and have accidentally engaged reverse exactly ZERO times.The only Reverse indicator light I would accept as useful is one mounted up high where I can see it, for the one or two times in 45 years where my clutch foot was faster than my hand, and I didnt have reverse fully engaged before putting power to her.I installed one (lite)in my S-clone for the STHU (shut the heck up)factor.A passenger would climb in, and practically the first thing out of their mouth was " wheres the reverse indicator light?" Sheesh. STHU.

The 8779 actually shows to fit a BW T-10.

Found a hurst shifter tower on evilbay #8779. h.

Without a link we have no idea what you are imagining. The "usual" lockout for a common competition plus was an acessory plate which simply bolted between the shifter body and the mounting pad. This had a sliding plate in there to block reverse. I don't remember, anymore, if you pushed the little red knob up or down to access reverse.

What this allowed you to do is to apply some pull to the knob somewhat diagonally to the rear and towards yourself, to be absolutely certain that it did not miss the gate.

Here's one now

hurst-reverse-jpg.1105174

Sorry, i cant figure out how to post it as a link. Except search it under the hurst pn# on evilbay.

The reverse warning light was prob done at a request by chryslers lawyers. The 4 speed shifters used prior to a factory hurst setup were the crappy inland shifter with reverse lockout T handle under the shift knob.

When chry.co. went to the hurst there was no lockout feature. Keep in mind its to protect joe average from engaging reverse at a stoplight by accident, dumping the clutch, and slamming into the car behind him, by letting him know its in reverse. ID10T light.

As a 4 speed car guy i can tell by feel and sound if im in first or reverse. Joe or Joanne average may not.

-
Back