interior leak!!!

-

74valiant

Reaction score
ok so im redoing my interior and am trying to take care of any leaks before i install it. i went over the front of the car today with a hose, and was surprised at what i found. there was a small leak from the drivers side that i caulked up, and another where there is a plastic plug that goes to the firewall. but the real problem is on the passenger side. i let the hose run for a minute or so when water started flooding in under the dash. i felt around because i couldnt see, and found out it is coming in through the a/c box (not sure of the real name) . its leaking through the seam where the upper and lower parts of the a/c box go together on the passenger side right by the vacuum valve that is right there. anyone know what seal is bad and what its gonna take to fix??

thanks for the help

I'm not sure where you had the hose but,the windshield wipers have foam type gasket that dries out and shrinks up. It could be trickling down and it looks like it's from the heater box.

Same Problem I Talked To My Dad Either A Cowl Vwent Leak Or Heater Box I Taped Up My Cowl To See If That Helps If U Want Tape It For Now Then Spray And If Not Its Prolly The Heater Box But U Can Try To Spray Air Through The Lil Lines In The Cowl Might Work Fixed My Dads 67cud'a

I have the same problem and I'll tell you right now that your wiper pivot seals are bad. You can order the full kit like I just did at www.shumacher.com. It cost me like $16.00. It will appear to be leaking from where you mentioned but it is more than likely the wiper pivot seals.

thanks for the help guys!!! i had the hose resting on the windsheild and running down into the cowl. i want to get the whole firewall seal kit anyway. are the wiper seals in it or are those seperate? what about the plastic plug on the drivers side firewall? thanks again, jason

Thanks for the help too guys! My '73 is leaky and I want to replace all the gaskets and most of the weatherstripping.

by the way, i dont think that link is what you wanted.. maybe it is

dude your cowl drains behind your fender are plugged up.and the water is backing up to the top of the air inlet lip. _____) (_______:<- drain
! air !
! vent !
! box !
!_____!

i was gonna ask about what else it could be cause it definately wasnt the wiper pivot after i had a good look. will i have toremove the fender?whats the best way to solve this problem???

there is really no easy way but, in the past on all of my non air cars, i took the vent box out from under the dash. i reached up into the cowl and got what i could by hand. then i open the door and look up inside the a-pillar and locate the drain hole for the cowl. i go find a coat hanger that is plastic covered so i don't scratch things up too bad, i put the appropriate bend in the wire and start digging. i try to push as much in to the vent hole and get it by hand, dry. then once i have it opened up some i run water in through the cowl opening and rod out the drain, wet. it has been my experience that if i get the water flowing out the drain, the cowl quits leaking on my feet! good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

i hope these help

.1.jpg

.2.jpg

so i ended up looking at those vent holes earlier today. they were as expected clogged with leaves, needles, and dirt. my paint isnt anything nice right now so i didnt worry about that. i used a coat hanger, and a hose at full power running into the cowl and it worked really well. i opened the hood and it was super easy to access by the hood spring. the leaves were small and there was almost no needles, so that helped. took about 15min. a side, but im confident that they are clean. im waiting on my classic registration to come through the mail so i can drive it up to the carwash and run the sprayer through it to knock loose anything remaining. still gotta get the firewall seals done as a precaution.

thanks for the help once again! im starting to know this car pretty good. id hope so at least considering ive owned it less than a year and ive already had the thing almost completely disassembled.:shock:

Keep in mind that everything flushed out the cowl vents goes to the bottom of the fender. That drain could be clogged too. There are 2 body bolts under there that can be removed. This will let you pull out on the fender slightly for a good flushing. Those bolts will have some arangement of spacer washers that need to go back as they were for panel alignement.

My Dad Asked Me Where It Was Draining I Said The Black Box Next To The Air Vent He Said Replace My Heater Core Bought A New 1 From Kragens And 35 Dollars Later It Might Work I Hope Thats The Oproblem Havnt Put It In Yet Tho.

i did notice some junk long with a 1lb block of loose body caulkin the fender. i fished the stuff out through the opening between the door and the a pillar. im thinking about just pulling the whole fender, but im not sure yet.

i did notice some junk long with a 1lb block of loose body caulkin the fender. i fished the stuff out through the opening between the door and the a pillar. im thinking about just pulling the whole fender, but im not sure yet.

I'd take the section loose close to the door and most of it should "shake" out I would imagine. Spring cleaning! LOL

like redfish said, 2 bolts and a few shims, it is probably still wet, pull the bottom of the fender out, and wash it all out good. put the shims back in thier original locations and tighten her back down. all done.

just to say i showed you, why you should clean it out once in a while. and this one is really nice too. i've seen these entire cowl/rocker areas GONE.

Picture 193.jpg

Picture 196.jpg

dude your cowl drains behind your fender are plugged up.and the water is backing up to the top of the air inlet lip. _____) (_______:<- drain
! air !
! vent !
! box !
!_____!
yep, been there; and drains in the side of the trunk clog.

Trunk floor extentions turn down to the bottom of the quarter panels. Those have a special body plug in them that have a " lip out " for lack of a better term.

redfish is right. right behind the rear wheel on the inside. a plug about 2" in dia. with a small drain in the lip. you'll know it when you see it. its gray.

-
Back