Interior lights staying on

-

TOY440

Reaction score
Hi guys, for some reason my interior lights won’t go out. Bought a few new door jamb switches, no fix. The headlight switch is NOT on the interior setting, I have even disconnected the headlight switch and the interior lights still remain on. It seems to be an intermittent issue, when I pull the fuse, leave it out for a bit, when I go out to the car next, re-install the fuse, it works as it should..........and then they come back on and stay on again. Any help is much appreciated

Wire under carpet along or under driver side sill molding. Light is wired to live battery,other side is switched to ground. Speakers in kick panels? Maybe grounding out on speaker frame. I believe the dome wire goes up the a-pillar.so maybe no wiring in the sill area. The switch side wire is finding ground.

What year?
What car?
What have you done to the car lately?
Did they ever work correctly?

It's getting ground somewhere where it shouldn't.

Some models have a delay timer that can go bad, hold the interior lights on, kill the battery.

Some models have a delay timer that can go bad, hold the interior lights on, kill the battery.

"Some models" Exactly. Could be workin on a Chevy here. We may never know.

I should mention I am in Australia. I have a Chrysler by Chrysler, which wiring wise, is same as a valiant. I have just installed a racepak dash display.The lights were working perfectly before and after the install. The issue first arose while i was reversing the car in the garage 2 weeks ago, has been an intermittent issue since, and no I dont have any speakers in the kick panel

I would start by yanking all courtesy lamp bulbs and checking them carefully. There should be NO continuity to the ground sell of the dual contact lamps.

Then disconnect battery, make sure all switches you can find are "off" and pull an accessible lamp apart. The yellow should be open to ground. Generally speaking throughout the courtesy/ dome lamp system, yellow is the ground switched leg. In other words any switch grounds a yellow and activates the dome lamps

Do you have a map light?

Find and yank the time delay relay. It's a small cylindrical metal can maybe? 5/8--3/4" dia and 1 1/2" long with 3 terminals. Looks "sorta" like a flasher.

I would do things like pull kick panels and gently pull slack out of the door switch wires, looking for bare/ chafed areas

AND WE STILL DONT KNOW what year make and model you are working on????

Last edited:
I should mention I am in Australia. I have a Chrysler by Chrysler, which wiring wise, is same as a valiant. I have just installed a racepak dash display.The lights were working perfectly before and after the install. The issue first arose while i was reversing the car in the garage 2 weeks ago, has been an intermittent issue since, and no I dont have any speakers in the kick panel
Disconnect all door switches then start following the wires and gently pull/twist until the lights turn off, that will help you narrow in on a short to ground. The wire from the front switches goes from one side to the other inside the dash ( usually yellow or white) and can rub through on a brackets and screw ends.

Last edited:
What year?
Do you have a time off delay for the interior lights?

I have factory service manual for 72 dodge dart, etc.. I can get into those wiring diagrams monday morn and see if map light or anything else is tied into the dome lamp circuit.
If there is aftermarket stereo head unit, installer may have tied that units memory to the yellow dome lamp wire.Anything aftermarket is suspect.

I have factory service manual for 72 dodge dart, etc.. I can get into those wiring diagrams monday morn and see if map light or anything else is tied into the dome lamp circuit.
If there is aftermarket stereo head unit, installer may have tied that units memory to the yellow dome lamp wire.Anything aftermarket is suspect.

There is no aftermarket head unit, the only thing that isn’t factory is the racepak dash I installed

-
Back