Interior lights will not turn off

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Ok, I checked both door switches and the map light switch. I can not get my interior lights to shut off. Is there another switch that I should be checking somewhere? I looked at the wiring schematic but it doesnt look like Im missing anything. Any ideas what may be causing this? For now I just pulled all my bulbs.

Dash dimmer? Twist it all the way to the left, the dome lamp goes on

Otherwise, pull the wires off the switches one at a time

Oh yes, dash dimmer, tried that also. Unless its bad and can fail on.. but I tried rotating it both ways and no change other than the lights dimmed. Ok, I'll try pulling the wires to see what happens..

Oh will the trunk light switch cause the interiors to come on?

No, the trunk light is independent. Dash dimmer can fail to on. Check the backs of door switches for accidental grounding, as they switch the ground path, not the hot wire.

Thanks 68,

I know my dash dimmer is iffy and I never liked how it functioned. As you dim the switch it will cut out the dash lights totally, then flicker and do its own thing. Perhaps I will look at picking up a new one of those. The door switches are very different than anything I have seen.

The drivers door has 3 wires going to it and it has a cone shaped contact area for the brass. The passenger door has 2 wires but also cone shaped. No terminals on the end of the wires and they look soldered onto the brass pins. They also have one large nut that screws into the door jam. Is this typical for these cars?

Did the lights go out when you pulled out the door switches? If not, then suspect the dimmer.

I don't know about the number of wires though. They normally connect with a push-on terminal - not soldered.

Those headlight switches are only like 15 dollars and your lights wont flicker anymore I just replaced mine, and it might be your other problem.

Did the lights go out when you pulled out the door switches? If not, then suspect the dimmer.

I don't know about the number of wires though. They normally connect with a push-on terminal - not soldered.

No they didnt. I think I'll just pick up a new dimmer, since this one seems hokey anyways.

-
Back