Interior plastics paint?

-

phish1270

phish1270
Reaction score
Does anyone know the color for the plastic base on the armrests in a '65 Barracuda? What about the dash & radio bezel? Is it the same color? Is it just a basic silver? My interior needs minimal work & those are 2 of the areas. It seems easy enough to do & shouldn't be too expensive. I know that just about anything will make it look better but I wanted to try to keep it original. Thanks.

The original finish on armrest bezels is 'plastic chrome.' It is an electrostatic process; there are various places that will re-do your pieces, or sell reproduction pieces in the original finish. I did mine 'on the cheap' with 'chrome' spraypaint, not as beautiful but looks okay to me.

Do the Mexichrome treatment, you can get it at an autobody paint store for under 10 bucks and irt looks pretty good if you sand and primer the piece first. Having it redone is spendy and money should be spent on more important things like performance IMO.

It is really a chrome? Mine looks more silver but they are 45 years old. Dash & radio bezel are the same finish as armrests?

jimbo - Is it actually called Mexichrome? I am all for saving some $ on this to put into more important areas such as performance. I have already started sanding mine & I have an adhesion promoter just need to decide on the paint.

I dont know if all early A armrest bases were vacuum plated or not. Some may have been a low luster argent intead. If you remove one and look at the hidden side you would know. That side should look like new. Mexichrome is slang for silver spray paint like starter renew is slang for black spray paint LOL
Alsa Corp Killer Chrome is about as close as you will get to vacuum plating appearance from spray cans.

I don't know where I read this, but someone said the chrome will look alot better if you paint it gloss black first. I have not tried it but I did hear it somewhere.

-
Back