interior rust removal

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
Any advice. Some say sandblast, others chemicals, and others a drill and a wire wheel. I need to remove the dash and do the inside to remove all I can. I know its a tedious project, but has to be done.

I need to remove the dash and do the inside to remove all I can. I know its a tedious project, but has to be done.

Do the inside of the dash??....like, the backside? I would use this: and some Scotchbrite pads.

navaljelly.jpg

Wire wheel where there's rust and use safety glasses , cut out and weld in patches where needed and for the rest which is not rusted through, brush on POR15.

If you're comfortable getting filthy dirty and like to scratch your arms and body, use paste type rust removers.

Hopefully I can start in the morning. Unless I have jury duty. I have to call after 7 tonight and see if my number shows up. I have to do all of the floor to prepare to cut out and install the floor pan, but can see behind the dash will need help. thanks

Do you have an air compressor? If so use an air grinder and roll lock scotch brite discs.

Clean your metal with these and it will look like new metal.

Attachments

• grinder.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 170
  • roll.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 167
I have a compressor, where should I find the sanding disk or wheels

I got Scotch Brite disks at Fleet Farm if you have those out there. I was surprised. Otherwise check O'Reilleys or whatever other auto parts place you have out there that has some auto body stuff. That is, if you need them real quick, otherwise, ebay can be cheapest for stuff like that.

Thanks for the advise. Today we have heavy rain so I am under the car replacing brake lines.

It all depends on how much rust you have and whether you have the interior stripped or not. If you have the dash/seats/carpet out, I'd go to down with one of those discs or a wire wheel and then just wipe everything down later. If I still had a bunch of the interior in place, I'd go with a chemical to keep things clean.

I have everything out except the dash. I am going to repace the passenger side floor pan, everything else would need to be cleaned primered and painted. Going back to work has really slowed my progress. Seems I don't have any time at all. Thanks for the advise

-
Back