Intermitent squeal-ish problem.

-

lgarbz

Reaction score
I have a 74 Duster with a 225 L6.
Early this weak, I started hearing a weird noise. It's not really a squeak or squeal but similar. It is a intermitent noise. It only happens in drive gear when I'm going 20mph or more. It does not happen while idling. It almost sounds like some kind of fluid leak, but I haven't seen anything dripping. I can hear it through the firewall while driving. It's coming from the driver side of the enging bay, and sounds like its coming from the area where my power steering pump is.

What I have checked and done to try to fix the problem:
Checked all fluid levels, power steering, oil, brake, atf.
checked belts, seem fine, and no noise at idle.
Flushed the heater core.
Fixed a vacuum leak at carburetor.

Anything you suggest could help me out.
Thanks.

You may want to bring it down to your local dyno so you can listen from the engine side of the firewall while it's in gear and running. Either that or get it up in the air in your driveway and try it but make sure it's securely supported so it doesn't fall.

Is this an automatic transmission car? If so:

Does the sound stop while driving down the road when dropped into neutral?

Dose the sound change when gear selector is in first, or second while driving?

Dose the car make that sound in reverse?

Have you checked the transmission fluid lever?

Check power steering fluid level, and its belt tension.

Automatic.
Stops when coasting in neutral (only does it in drive)
Doesn't make the sound in reverse.

Dropped the tranny pan today and replaced fluid.
Didn't see anyhting seriously wrong.
Someone said the sound may be coming from the bellhousing.
Could it be something with the torque converter?

You may want to check the U-joints. The can squeek under load in only one direction.

cudamark-
where are the u-joints and would the squeak only in drive gear under load?

They're on each end of the driveshaft and sometimes will only squeek under load. Typically, it's because the joint is rusty from lack of grease and developes a rythmic squeek that pulses quicker as you go faster. Sometimes when you coast or decelerate, the noise will disappear.

What are they for?
And would the squeak be loud enough to hear through the firewall while driving?
Thanks

Lgarbz:
Dropped the tranny pan today and replaced fluid.
Didn't see anyhting seriously wrong.
Someone said the sound may be coming from the bellhousing.
Could it be something with the torque converter?

Did you perform a recommended band adjustment while pan was off?

U joints generally won’t make squeal or whatever your sound is, but when ungreased & worn will clunk when changing gears, click at low speeds, and cause various levels of vibration in seat of pants at speed.

I think the sound is coming from the transmission. This is why I asked if it made it in manual first, and second. Hopefully you adjusted the bands while the pan was off. Often times a band adjustment, and filling with fresh fluid to proper level will eliminate many transmission ills.

As for the torque converter making that sound, hard to say. It only has a turbine in it, fluid is pumped in, and out when engine is running except when in park anything is possible.

Check the end play in the crank.
I wouldn't worry about the trans adjustments. One band adjustment is located outside the case and periodic adjustment there is simi-normal. The engineers put that other adjustment inside the pan for a reason. If I elaborate on that adjuster I'll surely start and arguement. Good luck

Usually, if there is an end play problem on the crank, you'll also hear the problem in neutral when you rev the engine. The crank will move back and forth when you raise and lower the RPM. I guess it's possible that with the added strain of being gear could move the crank just a fraction more and cause the flex plate bolts to clip the bell housing dust shield but I wouldn't think that would make a sound like he's describing. It only takes a minute to check so why not? The more things you eliminate, the closer you will be to finding the problem. When it makes the noise, is it continuous or does it pulse or vary or go louder/faster with engine RPM?

The majority of the noise was because of the power steering belt being a little too loose. Still hear a noise that sounds almost like fluid squirting somewhere. Maybe something internal with the power steering pump? Could one of the lines be backed up, causing pressure surges?

My car did the same thing,pulley on harmonic balancer had ripped loose and was slipping at certain loads.Check your timeing,if its way off ,pulley is slipping.Mark

-
Back