Intermittent ignition spark

-

Gizzy

Reaction score
Hello, I have a “71” 340 Demon that has intermittent ignition spark. I drive the car for 20 minutes or so and it will just quit. After the car has died I can wait a while, maybe 20-30 minutes and it flashes up again, any suggestions ?

Thanks

Welcome to FABO. I believe you'll need a little better description of what type of ignition system you have, what recent if any work that you've performed on the car, why you believe it's the ignition system and what does "flashes up" mean. We're in the dark here.

Yeh, I have a suggestion, LOLOL

Tell us what are you using for an ignition system? Factory dual point? Mopar breakerless? Some other?
If it's Mopar breakerless the very first things I'd check is the connectors and ESPECIALLY the distributor connector, and the ECU box for GROUND

Thanks for the response, I’ll need to do a bit more investigating so I can be more descriptive. I’ve only had the car for a year and 6 months of that time the car was in winter storage. The car has been heavily modified. I’ll absolutely check the grounds.
Thanks

So I’ve taken a look at my distributor and this is what the center of the cap looks like, does it look like it is damaged ?
D7AA76DF-A2FB-4F0A-9DCD-B754ED29A88C.jpeg
D7AA76DF-A2FB-4F0A-9DCD-B754ED29A88C.jpeg

I see nothing there, particularly alarming

Look you STILL have not informed us what it is that you are working on. If you don't know or can't identify the system, take some photos of "the box" and the distributor. The Mopar style come in many colors, black, blue, chrome, gold, this, orange depending on who made them They all have the distinctive connector on the top

If you have (or sure that you only have) just a distributor and no box, you may have one of the several China made "ready to run" distributors, which uses a module in the distributor

moparignition.jpg

I see nothing there, particularly alarming

Look you STILL have not informed us what it is that you are working on. If you don't know or can't identify the system, take some photos of "the box" and the distributor. The Mopar style come in many colors, black, blue, chrome, gold, this, orange depending on who made them They all have the distinctive connector on the top

If you have (or sure that you only have) just a distributor and no box, you may have one of the several China made "ready to run" distributors, which uses a module in the distributor

View attachment 1715942178

So this is what has been installed on the car, MSD Blaster coil, MSD 6AL ignition with an MSD 8534 distributor. The ECU box looks like it be original (or very close to it)

The cap looks like an MSD. The center should have a little black nip that the center part of blade of the rotor rests against. Get a new cap and that will fix it. But before installing, look in the lower part of the distributor for the back nip, most likely chewed up…

And Welcome to FABO. To make it easy using the forum, on posts you want to reply to, directly to that person, hit “reply” on the bottom of the post. Then make sure your typing cursor is below and outside of the text in the [ text ]. If you just generally want to post to the thread, scroll down and you’ll see the text box..

And Welcome to FABO. To make it easy using the forum, on posts you want to reply to, directly to that person, hit “reply” on the bottom of the post. Then make sure your typing cursor is below and outside of the text in the [ text ]. If you just generally want to post to the thread, scroll down and you’ll see the text box..
Perfect, thanks !

The cap looks like an MSD. The center should have a little black nip that the center part of blade of the rotor rests against. Get a new cap and that will fix it. But before installing, look in the lower part of the distributor for the back nip, most likely chewed up…
I have a cap and rotor coming in today, I’ll install everything and see how the car reacts. Thanks !

I did not notice the cap button. "Something" caused that. It may have been wear, or it may have been something else. Check your plugs and wires for opens. Was it arcing anywhere such as a plug boot before this happened? Missing occasionally? Also check the rotor carefully for "punch through into the shaft area.

Also if you go to the MSD website there is a test procedure there. Examine the interior of the distributor for shaft wear, debri around the pickup/ trigger area, and heavy rust.

I hope the cap & rotor fixes the problem, but I have my doubts...

-
Back