Is it a Special 360 ?

-

one mile

Reaction score
Picked up a 360 out of a '85 Dodge 3500 that was used as a fire station support vehicle. Odometer reads 42,5500 miles. My question is did Chrysler put any "special " heavy duty parts in these ? I am not going into the motor just picked it up as a "spare" for my daughters '65 Barracuda. Any constructive input welcome. Thanks Tim

No not really special at all.
The most they did was put in some extras. An example would be like an E58/360 engine which received a few things over a standard 360. Things like;

Double row timing chain
Windage tray
340 cam
And a few other minor things

Constructive input?

When rebuilding or before use as is, swap out the timing chain for a new one. The gears are crapola.
New gaskets all around. A gasket set is cheap.
Install a new oil pump if you wish. Standard volume is fine.
A new cam and valve springs would be a nice improvement over any cam inside it now.
IF it has the 4bbl. On it now, just clean and re-build the 4bbl. carb or replace with one of your choice.
Add headers the f you wish, your call for the vehicle it will reside in.

Truck motors will have exhaust valve rotator's,but that's all that was different about mine.

The E58/360 has those as well. I would replace those as well as an upgrade along with the springs of a new cam. Locks and retainers, springs and a cam.

Great input everyone, thanks !
Would Chrysler even put a different torque camshaft in this motor ? Is this the same as one put in a lighter car ? I was asked by a friend and I don't understand either...... Thanks Tim

I will probably do like you said rumbelfish360 just put a 340 cam & stuff just to play with it.

Would Chrysler even put a different torque camshaft in this motor ? Is this the same as one put in a lighter car ? I was asked by a friend and I don't understand either...... Thanks Tim

360's either got the 360 2 bbl cam at .410"/.410" lift and 252°/252° duration...

The 360 4 bbls got the standard 340 auto cam at .429"/.444" lift and 268°/272° duration...

I would go one step above the stock 340 cam with a good true roller double roller timing chain...

You can also have the intake valves opened up to 2.02" if you wish, like the 340's had if you get a valve job...

An excellent 1 step up cam is the upgraded 340 cam with similar advertised duration numbers and lift but the cams lobes are fatter for more area under curve. AKA, a larger cam on the duration @ .050 spec.
Add 3.55's and a decent converter. It makes for a really nice driver with some guts.

And then as Carl said. AKA KrazyKuda

360's either got the 360 2 bbl cam at .410"/.410" lift and 252°/252° duration...
4 barrel 360'" cams: I did not know that,learned something tonight..Gracias....
The 360 4 bbls got the standard 340 auto cam at .429"/.444" lift and 268°/272° duration...

I would go one step above the stock 340 cam with a good true roller double roller timing chain...

You can also have the intake valves opened up to 2.02" if you wish, like the 340's had if you get a valve job...

Didn't some 360's (van or motor home) have a different water pump?

Or am I thinking 440's? I seem to recall that certain classes of vans or motor homes had a different water pump that would not work in a car. But I can't remember if that was 360's, 440's or both.

If this engine was from a municipal service vehicle you can bet the run hours are much higher than the milage would indicate. If your going to disassemble any how check the cylinders for excessive wear.
Dan

image.jpeg
Didn't some 360's (van or motor home) have a different water pump?

Or am I thinking 440's? I seem to recall that certain classes of vans or motor homes had a different water pump that would not work in a car. But I can't remember if that was 360's, 440's or both.
I have only seen the respective water pumps for the year of the make.
AKA, Magnums have there water pump
LA has its water pumps, early and late
Poly has its own pump.
On big block I have only noticed cars and the early and late model housing. Late model has passenger side pick up as pictured here on a '78/400.

If this engine was from a municipal service vehicle you can bet the run hours are much higher than the milage would indicate. If your going to disassemble any how check the cylinders for excessive wear.
Dan

Yes, but most wear happens in the first 10 minutes of run time while the engine is cold... Once it's warmed up, wear is minimal... (when you're not beating on it....)

That's why highway mileage is better than city mileage on a car...

You're right of course. Being in the business we have trucks and cars with less than 50,000 miles that have the run time equal to four times that. Emergency vehicles are the most harmed because they go from being cold started to full throttle runs their entire life.
Dan

You're right of course. Being in the business we have trucks and cars with less than 50,000 miles that have the run time equal to four times that. Emergency vehicles are the most harmed because they go from being cold started to full throttle runs their entire life.
Dan

As a general rule of thumb, I don't like to get it over 3000 RPM until it's warmed up if I can help it...

360 has some real grunt allright,due to that long stroke.

One thing I like about 360s is it's easier to make decent compression. And that leads to being able to run more cam, before the lower end takes a dump.
For comparison sake;
Say you have a total chamber volume of 84cc and you have one of every size sbm all with zero decks.
The Scrs will be about 7.66/273 and, 8.75/318 and, 9.29/340 and, 9.78/360
If you put a 268/110 cam in each of these, you can see what's gonna happen,right?
The Dcrs/pressure will be about; 273=6.24/115 and, 318=7.11/136 and, 340=7.54/147 and, 360=7.97/158
To make 7.97DCr, with the above Scrs each smaller engine will have to give up quite a bit of cam, from the previous engine.
eg; To make 7.97Dcr; the 360 with its 9.78Scr needs an ICA of 62*, the 340 with an Scr of 9.29 needs 54*, the 318 with an Scr of 8.75 needs 43* and 273 is never gonna get there.
This exercise is for comparison sake, as some of these combos would never be built, almost obviously. But everybody has some 2.02 heads they are just dying to bolt onto something,right? I mean I can't be the only hoarder.................right?
So that's one thing I like about the 360.

LOL, I have a few sets of heads as well.
And blocks...
And intakes...
And .....
I just lack cars!

-
Back