Is it 'Chunk' or 'Chuck'

-

Logan

Reaction score
I keep seeing 8 3/4 center sections refered to as 'chunks' on this forum. Since I was a kid, I've always seen them referred to as 'Chucks'. Nowhere other than this forum have I seen them referred to this way. Who's right?

I've never heard 'em called anything but a "third member" until after I invented the internet

Carrier assembly and Third member are the technical terms for them.

The word "chunk" is a slang word meaning "section"

Drills and *** kicking movies have Chucks.

I always heard carrier. Also why is it Ma Mopar calls the drive shaft propshaft?

I always heard carrier. Also why is it Ma Mopar calls the drive shaft propshaft?

There are lots of different terms. Between GM, Mopar, and third party parts catalogs, there is at least three different "technical" terms for the input shaft on your manual gearbox. Ma calls 'em a "pinion." No, I'm not talking about the rear axle.

So "input shaft", "main drive gear", "clutch gear", and "drive pinion," and maybe more

You cannot really make it out, but this diagram of an older GM 3 speed calls it the "clutch gear"

muncie_318_illustration.jpg

Mopar "pinion":

Attachments

• pinion.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 255
third member, center section, carrier assembly, pigs head, snout, center-chunk.....all in the nomenclature man!

I've always heard it as steering boxes being "chuck" and the drop out center sections being chunks (although "pig" seems to get used more).

Hey how about the PRNDL (pronounced perndal). Never heard that until I started on Mopars. Everyone else says "shift indicator". Snobs.

I've always heard it as steering boxes being "chuck" and the drop out center sections being chunks (although "pig" seems to get used more).

Hey how about the PRNDL (pronounced perndal). Never heard that until I started on Mopars. Everyone else says "shift indicator". Snobs.

I always heard it pronounced Pryndle.

sorry to wander off topic but i couldnt help this, whos jumped into a car, looked at the shift indicator, and saw: R L S D N P talk about a big ol what the eff moment.....name the cars that had it!!!

i never understood why every sure grip chunk has to be called a posi , posi -traction damn posi's posse' pozi ponzi fozzy fonzy forget it..

this is chuck

chuck-norris.jpg

A chunk is a piece of something A Chuck is something being thrown / I chucked it over there.......... I think we got it.

-
Back