Is it LEGAL????

-

AnswerBook

Reaction score
Is it legal to sell a VIN + fender tag + core support + trunk lip + package tray

NO NO NO - I DO NOT HAVE AN ILLEGAL CAR!!! <or> nothing like that

I saved it from a salvage yard but no title.

I was told - "sell the (above mentioned items)" BUT I'm thinking that couldn't be legal right?

I would sure like "the pros" opinions on this matter

It depends on the state but you really need a title to do a rebuilder car, It's useless without a title
other people will call you out on it but in the state of Ohio it's legal to get a doner body and the state highway patrol has to inspect it.

I live in Kansas - I could get an antique title if i had antique - complete drive train and wheels already present and had a bill of sale from a kansas resident, high way patrol checks numbers... thats bout all there is to it... done it before
I could do it with this car I am referring to also but too much work to do on it to make it worth my while so im parting it out,, I have had it sitting in back 20 for 15 years and never touched it, My sons told me the other day when I was over there taking a few parts off - Dad you lucky there is anything left of that car and then said it was just a worthless piece of junk lol, then he said why I was almost not getting parts... my other son visited him couple weeks before and they were bored and was gonna blow it up... i said WHAT!? yeah its a piece of junk not worth nothing so we was gonna blow it up for the fun of it... soooo glad they didnt,,, but they did destroy perfect tail light lenses shot a few holes in it....rrrrrr... but at least they didnt blow it up

So when someone asked what ya gonna do with that and that and that - vin..etc.. I said i guess save for souvenir... they said why dont u sell it... just dont sound legal... so i am asking the experts

Is it legal? Only a judge can tell you, during a trial, to answer that definitively.

It is expressly stated at the federal level that tampering with VIN numbers is not legal, but nobody seems to give a **** about that anymore.

Is it worth it? Ask yourself what you have to lose before you answer that.

Typically, people that decide they have nothing to lose, end up not realizing what they have to lose until too late.

YMMV

Is it legal? Only a judge can tell you, during a trial, to answer that definitively.

It is expressly stated at the federal level that tampering with VIN numbers is not legal, but nobody seems to give a **** about that anymore.

Typically, people that decide they have nothing to lose, end up not realizing what they have to lose until too late.

YMMV
DUDE!!!!! THAT'S WHY I'M ASKING!!!

YMMV
You make it seem like with your reply ------I know its illegal and trying to attempt it.... I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT IF IT'S LEGAL - THAT'S IT!!! thank you for your - its federal law

I am not a well educated car enthusiast - trying to become educated - THAT'S IT

DUDE!!!!! THAT'S WHY I'M ASKING!!!

In Missouri, you broke the law when you bought it without a title, end of story.

It also depends, was the vehicle even legal when you bought the vin, etc. If it was stolen.....

It my opinion it's not worth it in any case, transferring these items from a Hemi Cuda to a 318 coupe do not a Hemi Cuda make, so I can't think of a single context where it's worth it to the point of even asking about legality.

In Missouri, you broke the law when you bought it without a title, end of story.

It also depends, was the vehicle even legal when you bought the vin, etc. If it was stolen.....

It my opinion it's not worth it in any case, transferring these items from a Hemi Cuda to a 318 coupe do not a Hemi Cuda make, so I can't think of a single context where it's worth it to the point of even asking about legality.
DUDE!!!!! I LIVE IN KANSAS AS STATED BEFORE - I NEVER BROKE ANY *******ING LAWS!!!!!
NEVER AGAIN ACCUSE ME OF BREAKING ANY LAWS EVER YOU HAVE NO CLUE!!!!!!
HOW DO I CLOSE THIS POST

****.... I wouldn't worry about it. Half the jokers that run the country are crooks. Let it go to good use and put another car back on the road.

You make it seem like with your reply ------I know its illegal and trying to attempt it.... I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT IF IT'S LEGAL - THAT'S IT!!! thank you for your - its federal law

I am not a well educated car enthusiast - trying to become educated - THAT'S IT

DUDE!!!!! I LIVE IN KANSAS AS STATED BEFORE - I NEVER BROKE ANY *******ING LAWS!!!!!
NEVER AGAIN ACCUSE ME OF BREAKING ANY LAWS EVER YOU HAVE NO CLUE!!!!!!
HOW DO I CLOSE THIS POST

Calm down, boss. Never said you did.

I said, in Missouri. I ain't in Kansas, and I don't know Kansas.

I don't know what you have and/or what you've haven't done. I only know what's typed on the internet.

Feds, sickkum!

I think you might've stepped in some guilty conscious when you went out to get the paper though.

****.... I wouldn't worry about it. Half the jokers that run the country are crooks. Let it go to good use and put another car back on the road.
But thats just it, I am an ethical person and it didn't sound right to sell those items unless it was legal. That's why I asked in the first place. I do realize folks don't always follow the law but I do my best, heck I have NEVER even had a speeding ticket.

It sooooo upsets me beyond belief when someone questions my integrity or my character without knowing me or knowing what I stand for. I quickly found out how to ignore someone
not u - R4Sedan the other guy... thanks for your response its appreciated

Is it legal to sell a VIN + fender tag + core support + trunk lip + package tray. NO NO NO - I DO NOT HAVE AN ILLEGAL CAR!!! <or> nothing like that
I saved it from a salvage yard but no title.
I was told - "sell the (above mentioned items)" BUT I'm thinking that couldn't be legal right?
I would sure like "the pros" opinions on this matter

Yes, It is legal. They are car parts. What someone does with them after is none of your business.

However, this situation is *** backwards. what would be of value is a title or registration to go with that stuff so someone could turn their car, that has no title or reg into another car or be able to register it.

I can't imagine why anyone would want the parts that you have unless you had the title or reg to go with them.

But thats just it, I am an ethical person and it didn't sound right to sell those items unless it was legal. That's why I asked in the first place. I do realize folks don't always follow the law but I do my best, heck I have NEVER even had a speeding ticket.

It sooooo upsets me beyond belief when someone questions my integrity or my character without knowing me or knowing what I stand for. I quickly found out how to ignore someone
not u - R4Sedan the other guy... thanks for your response its appreciated
Hey newbie calm down? LOL you jump up and down like this every time someone says something you don't like we're going to have a lot of fun with you.
Live and learn, you'll pick your subject matter a little better next time.

Check your state laws. I legally re bodied my 79' F-150. The frame and body were from two different trucks. I had the titles and bill of sale to both. Had to get inspected by the Sate Police to verify VIN's against theft. I was good , they gave me a new title, VIN and since the body was a 76' they dated the model year 1976. Ethics don't play into this as long as your upfront about what you did/have, have the proper paper trail in do it in accordance with the law.

Ask your local DMV.

Last edited:
Yeah, you don't know how many times we have had topics on this and somebody gets their panties in a wad. Don't worry about it do what you think is right.

wow! he posting on cl... yeah i think
Hey newbie calm down? LOL you jump up and down like this every time someone says something you don't like we're going to have a lot of fun with you.
Live and learn, you'll pick your subject matter a little better next time.
I do not get upset when someone says something "I don't like". When they treat me like an idiot or insult or accuse or attack... yeah then I get upset. You might be right. I might not wanna be here very much longer... starting to see what the folks are like around here... I do not treat folks badly and do not want to be treated badly, but I will always defend. Thanks for your reply

I see you are a newbie.:)
There is no single answer to this.
There is no good answer to this.
Have you "removed" a VIN?
Most people don't know what the applicable law says.
Most people couldn't make sense of the law if they read it.
And that includes the bureaucrats.
Remember, there are both federal and state laws.
I'm betting other than the people reading this, most people don't care what you do with them as long as you don't commit .....gee I hate to throw that word around.......fraud.
If someone wants to make absolutes, that's fine.
I'm not a lawyer.
And that would not mean much even if I was one.

-
Back