Is it possible to repair bent push rods?

-

RustyDusty

Rabid Cross-eyed Opossum!
Reaction score
When I took the head off my /6 it slid down and bent 5 push rods. Can these be repaired? They have about a 20 degree slow bend in them. Or will I have to buy a new set?

for some reason I would not take the chance of what you are asking. It seems like the price wouldn't actually break you yet give you insurance knowing they are new

Yes, you repair them by going to your favorite auto parts store and ordering a new set. You also need to figure out why they are bent.

Way back when, I asked my high school autoshop teacher about the "slightly" bent pushrods in the engine I was rebuilding. His exact words were "Having slightly bent pushrods is like being slightly pregnant."

when I first got my '65 Valiant, it had a poorly runnin slant in it. On diagnosis, I pulled the valve cover and found two bent pushrods. I took um out and hammered um straight as I could on the back of a vise and stuck um back in and readjusted the valves. It ran slick as a whistle for about a year til I slammed in the 12:1 360.

A friend of mine straightened a badly bent push rod from his 440 by hammering it on his cement driveway. :disgust: He wasn't listening to me and cranked the engine with the starter while we were adjusting the valves. I can't believe it has run for this long with that crap push rod and I can't believe he hasn't bought a new one yet. My biggest concern for your engine is why they bent. Without understanding why the next problem could be way more expensive.

I poked a hole in a rocker and bent one at a weekend bracket race. I had a spare rocker but not a rod so i straightened it on the trailer and made another round before being put out. How long it will last depends on how straight and how much spring pressure plus rpm. If cost is an issue i bet between us all here on fabo we could scrounge up some used ones. Whats the length?

Rusty
If you need some push rods i have tons. Just PM me your addy and let me know how many. There are 2 lengths 170 and 225 (or 198 ). I only have the 225 size.
Frank

When I took the head off my /6 it slid down and bent 5 push rods. Can these be repaired? They have about a 20 degree slow bend in them. Or will I have to buy a new set?

OMG!! C'mon!! They're only $1.50 at Autozone!!!

i guess no-one really READS the whole thread. he said he went to take the head off, and slipped, and in the process, bent the push rods. lmao. you guys need to get some sleep.lol j/k

Haha, The engine is fine, I just bent the pushrods myself when I half dropped the head back onto the block. Thanks for the concern though!

Are these the correct pushrods? I went in to Autozone and they told me they didn't carry them for my 225. I go and look online and it says they do. I just want to make sure they're correct, since I won't be able to see them in person first.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...mString=search&itemIdentifier=163741_28199_0_

Thanks for the offer Frank. If these aren't the correct ones, I'll take you up on the offer.

Cheers!
Drake

-
Back