Is It Possible To Replace Fuel Gauge Sending Unit Without Dropping The Gas Tank?

-

69KillerFish

Reaction score
I have a 1969 Barracuda. By process of elimination, I have determined that my sending unit in the gas tank needs to be replaced. My gauge on the instrument panel reeds empty but it is not. I have tested the wiring back to the tank and the gauge on the instrument panel and they both work. I belive that the float is stuck due to the car being parked for several years. I have already run into problems with the varnished gas fouling my carb. I have emptied the tank and filled it with fresh gas. Is it possible to replace the sending unit without dropping the gas tank? Is it posssible to free the float in the tank without removing it? Some form of gas additive to free the float?

You do not need to drop the tank to change the sending unit. The float question can best be answered by taking the sending unit out and inspecting the float. Most float issues I have seen were that the float was rusted thru and needed replaced. Hope that helps you.

Would have been better to have pulled the sending unit out with an empty tank. You could have checked the insides of the tank as well as the condition of the sending unit. If the needle on your gas gauge doesn't seem to move you should also check for a grounding strap that connects on the sending unit and the fuel line coming from the fuel pump. This grounding strap is what completes the circuit and allows the gas gauge to work properly.

I'd drain the gas into some clean gas cans. Empty the tank as best you can and pull the tank out, then remove the sending unit and check everything out.

If you're going to try and remove the sending unit with gas in the tank please use wood or brass items as they will not create a spark. Or else ka-boom!

Glenn

Here's what the sending unit on my 65 Dodge Dart looked like a fews years ago. I ended up replacing the tank and the sending unit, needless to say. The gas had gone to varnish. Good luck with your car!

Glenn

Attachments

• IMG_4236.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,065
I have a 71 swinger. I just changed it without dropping the tank. Maybe a 69 cuda is different.

For the price of a new tank and sender dont mess with it, just put new in there, it will save you alot of head aches down the road under two hundred bucks.

I replaced the sending unit in my '67 Barracuda without dropping the tank. I had made sure that the tank was near empty first though. But I agree with tekslk. If you've really got a system that's that full of gunk or rust, it'd be worthwhile (and not cost prohibitive) to replace them.

I would try to preserve my old sender if possible. Put a new float and sock on it, clean it up, whatever. The ones they sell as replacements are not calibrated correctly. A lot of people have regretted replacing a working unit.

No reason to drop the tank. Just make sure the fuel level is in the lower third.

Even if I bought a new tank, I would try to save the old sender.

I would try to preserve my old sender if possible. Put a new float and sock on it, clean it up, whatever. The ones they sell as replacements are not calibrated correctly. A lot of people have regretted replacing a working unit.

No reason to drop the tank. Just make sure the fuel level is in the lower third.

Even if I bought a new tank, I would try to save the old sender.

Then they are buying inferior parts. Lots of Chinkesium out there. Spectra makes a nice line of sending units made in Canada tat do the job great. Damn trying to make a 40 year old piece of crap work.

-
Back