Is it worth investing in a 8.25

-

74mopar

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is worth buying aftermarket posi and gears for an A body 8.25 rear end big bolt pattern or just look for a 8.75.

Also does anyone know what donor parts for a disc brake conversion would work? From what vehicle model & year?

I'd say, offhand, depends on how much HP and how you are gonna use it

i agree, what are your plans for the car. they are great big bolt pattern alternative if you are going to keep the power lower, and you arnt trying to hook up and launch the car. i have one in my wagon with 3:55's and a suregrip. but im only running a slant 6.

Do you already have the 8.25" in the car?

If it came with the 8.25" axle, it should have disks in the front already.

Well, I am still debating on either making the 318 stronger, which is original to the car and maybe add aluminum heads.
Or fix a 360 that I have sitting around and go the same way. I want it to be a street car with some power not a full weekend track car.
I was told that an 8.25 is not worth using but I have seen aftermarket posi units and gear for it.
That’s why I do not know if I should invest my money in an 8.25.
I want to add disk brake at rear axle.
Thanks for your help.

I want to add disk brake at rear axle.

Ah, missed that. Sorry.

There are a couple of threads about adding Jeep Grand Cherokee rear disks to an 8.25" axle. Might look at those.

I've never had a problem with the 8.25" that is in my Duster (other than self induced problems), and it has a 360 and a 4 speed. It never made huge power, though, and I never tried any slicks.

Unless you are building a bracket car and don't want to be concerned with durability, the 8.25" should be fine. The 8.75" has some nice perks, but the cost is a real downer.

I had an 8-1/4 3.55 Sure Grip in my Dart Sport 360.....never had a noise, never had a problem......and I drive hard.......full shift kit, always manual shifts up and down......really hammered the rear and it held up GREAT.

If I was gonna really slam it with a 383/440 manual shift, I might think twice.......Otherwise, I think you'll be just fine......they're a great rear.

The 8.25 is nearly as strong as an 8.75. If you are staying under 450HP it will hold up fine.

Mopar has put more 8.25's under vehicles than any other rear so there is lots of support for them and the parts aren't pricey.

-
Back