Is it wrong to clone?

-

Moose

Reaction score
I know some people really dont like it. But I was thinkin about cloning a duster into a demon. Just a crazy a thought. But I truely love demons and if I happened to ever do it Id do it right and change everything that needs to be and keep all the orginal parts. So is it still wrong?

I would not do it to a 340 car, its your car do as you wish. I dont see the problem with it.

I'd say if it was a base duster then sure, go for it but one thats nicely optioned should stay original. Same goes when people have cars that had good color scemes and they paint them a different color like painting an orange car white.

It's your car, so you can do as you please. I see no problem with it as long as you don't try to represent it as the real deal. If you are truthful about what it is after it's done, then go right ahead. :nike:

It's your car, so you can do as you please. I see no problem with it as long as you don't try to represent it as the real deal. If you are truthful about what it is after it's done, then go right ahead. :nike:

x2

I personally will never own something like a hemi daytona so I will be making one. How wrong is it to make a 4 door into a daytona? well in my opinion not wrong at all!

And what exactly is the value of these cars that persons feel the need to keep them as original as they can be. I mean I could see if the value exceeded its worth by tens of thousands of dollars and if that was important then why go on from there. Maybe I should have left my 64 Signet totally original as when I first got it from the original owner, all Black and stock, rust free, AM radio, drum brakes, 13" wheels, no A/C and yes a true driver for parades where other purists and old fogeys can reminisce as to yesterday when their parents had this exact car before they updated their complete automobile for a new one with disc brakes, FM stereo, A/C, aluminum rims and some more power.

George Barris once said, anyone can restore a car but it takes a real man to chop it up. And that is one thing I agree on totally

I know some people really dont like it. But I was thinkin about cloning a duster into a demon. Just a crazy a thought. But I truely love demons and if I happened to ever do it Id do it right and change everything that needs to be and keep all the orginal parts. So is it still wrong?

It's kinda like going out to eat at Burger King, HAVE IT YOUR WAY !!!! Ialways loved the Demon tail lights,and often thought of putting them on my '71 Duster !! There's always going to be someone to try and piss in your Cherios,but I say DARE TO BE DIFFERENT,you'll be glad you did !!

Wow alot different respone then I thought Id get, I see what you guys are saying

I find nothing wrong with cloning except if at the time it's sold to some non car guy passing it off as what it ain't.Have fun with it just don't pass it off as something else.

Whatever will motivate you to drive it more is good. That's why I don't like 90+ point restorations.

It is your car, do with it what you want. If it were a 340 car or #'s matching that would be different. If my Dart ends up with a Hemi in it I will not be calling it a Hemi Dart......it will be a Dart with a Hemi.......and then if that gets misinterpreted oh well....

Do as you please. I have a 68 Dart sedan that was small /6, bench seats, auto on column. Now I have a 69 340/4bbl hood, 340 engine, bucket seats, console, floor shifter, ralleye wheels. I like it, its mine, and its a blast to drive.

Will you call it a Dustmon or a Demer? Go for it.

I call mine a Dustdevil. I looked high and low for a Demon around here for years and never found one. I ran across probably 20 Dusters or Dart Sports in that time. So I bought a clean 6cyl 72 Duster and am cloning that into a Demon. Its titled as Duster and always will be. I agree with above, don't clone a 340 or a Twister into a Demon, but if its anything else go for it. I also bought a 72 Demon 340 to restore in the future but can drive the Dustdevil sooner.

Cloning is wrong in my opinion as long as its always represented that way.

I call mine a Dustdevil. I looked high and low for a Demon around here for years and never found one. I ran across probably 20 Dusters or Dart Sports in that time. So I bought a clean 6cyl 72 Duster and am cloning that into a Demon. Its titled as Duster and always will be. I agree with above, don't clone a 340 or a Twister into a Demon, but if its anything else go for it. I also bought a 72 Demon 340 to restore in the future but can drive the Dustdevil sooner.

Isn't that a vacuum cleaner??? No wait!! That's a Dirt Devil. To OP build what ever you want. It's your time and dough.

I,m thinking of doing the same thing. Only because my 72 Duster is missing a front clip and I have one from a 71 Dart. I may leave the duster rear tail lights and call it the Dusty Bastard or Devils Duster. Or how about Identity Crisis.

the only problem is your car will say DODGE and your registration will say PLYMOUTH if you were to get pulled over they could give you a hard time

-
Back