Is my cam break in enough?

-

Badart

Reaction score
Fired my fresh 318 tonight to break in the cam on my basket case dart. Easiest start up I have ever had. Fired on the first hit, checked the oil pressure, set the total timing to 36 degrees and adjusted the throttle. I was able to run the engine (guessing about 2500 rpm, because no tach installed yet) for about 10 minutes, then I saw the temp creaping up around 220 degrees so I shut it down. I figured I would have some air pockets in the cooling system so I added some water. Went to start it up again and my battery was dead. I guess the alternator is bad. Charged the battery and ran for another 10 minutes from 1000-2500 rpm. Is this enough for the cam break in? I used comp cams lube on the cam and lifters and VR-1 oil for the break in.

This little 318 sounds mean and revs quick.

Here is my set up. .040 over flat top pistons .060 in the hole, Comp XE256 cam, Rebuilt magnum heads with 1.6 rockers and chebby behive springs, Magnum dual plane air gap intake, Holley 600, Hooker comp headers. Flowmaster 3" 40's. Should be a fun little street motor.

I will try and post a video over the next couple of days.

should be 20 min...mine got to 220 but stayed there....maybe start it again for another 10

That should be enough. I had to shut mine down after 15 minutes due to a half-empty cooling system when I broke in the Lunati Voodoo 256 cam in my 318. Filled it up, fired it up and ran it for another 10 minutes then called it a day. It runs fine now, no issues with the cam/lifters so far.

I think you're fine. The 256 isnt a huge cam and it ran for a while where it should have. In a few cases I've done the same for whatever reason. As long as the rpms are not below 1800 and it started right away, you did well.

Twenty minutes should be fine. When I break in a new engine I always use straight water and run a hose into the radiator turned on low and crack open the drain on the bottom. This way I have a steady flow of cool water, it flushes out any garbage that might still be in the cooling system and I don't have to worry about overheating, but I've never had a paved driveway either so that may not be practical for you. Better to have to just deal with water then coolant if there's a leak too.

-
Back