Is my car a Tag Job? Barracuda Decode...

-

eekvonzipper

My Member is Legendary!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
1965 with a Stock Appearing 273 2bbl 3-on-the-tree with A-903.
vin is: 1857239282
It looks Soo stock in fact that I can't believe it was ever a /6 car.
It even has the bigger 10" Drums on it.
One of the Rivets in the VIN Tag is just barely sitting in there,
not to mention the first 2 numbers look like they were stamped later...
Please look at pics and give an opinion. Did I get taken?

273 .jpg

fender tag.jpg

vin.jpg

vin2.jpg

o.jpg

Last edited:
The 20 under the AB is the engine code. It was born with a 225 slant 6.

The first stamping on the VIN was done at a different time, so that is not incorrect. The stamp looks funny however. The VIN was not riveted but was glued or spot welded. The holeswere used to locate the tag. Your Sequence number on the Fender Tag is very low. So I don't know how that would match what looks to be a later VIN number. Look at the radiator support on the battery side near the radiator mount. Under the paint there will be a number that matches the Sequence number on the Fender Tag. There is also a SEQ number on the trunk rail about the center on drivers side. If all those numbers match, then your Fender tag is matching the car body. At that point you have to decode the numbers on the tag and match the equipment on the car. I have attached a VIN picture to show you the font and stamping. Notice no rivets.
VIN Breakdown.JPG

upload_2020-10-24_13-56-45.png

Your number: 1857239282
Valiant Taxi, 1965, St. Louis, 239282 (SEQ Number)
upload_2020-10-24_14-0-21.png

These are from Allpart.

1965 with a Stock Appearing 273 2bbl 3-on-the-tree with A-903.
vin is: 1857239282
It looks Soo stock in fact that I can't believe it was ever a /6 car.
It even has the bigger 10" Drums on it.
One of the Rivets in the VIN Tag is just barely sitting in there,
not to mention the first 2 numbers look like they were stamped later...
Please look at pics and give an opinion. Did I get taken?

View attachment 1715618595

View attachment 1715618596

View attachment 1715618597

View attachment 1715618599

View attachment 1715618600

I don't know if you got taken because I don't know what you paid but you got a nice start to a cool ride.

The first stamping on the VIN was done at a different time, so that is not incorrect. The stamp looks funny however. The VIN was not riveted but was glued or spot welded. The holeswere used to locate the tag. Your Sequence number on the Fender Tag is very low. So I don't know how that would match what looks to be a later VIN number. Look at the radiator support on the battery side near the radiator mount. Under the paint there will be a number that matches the Sequence number on the Fender Tag. There is also a SEQ number on the trunk rail about the center on drivers side. If all those numbers match, then your Fender tag is matching the car body. At that point you have to decode the numbers on the tag and match the equipment on the car. I have attached a VIN picture to show you the font and stamping. Notice no rivets.
View attachment 1715618605
How Ironic, that I just happen to have Damage on the core support and only in one spot...

How do I find the other sequence number in the trunk?

core.jpg

The Rad number might be a part number stamping. Keep looking because I see a 7 and 0's and a 4 and an I. They usually put it under the antifreeze sticker.

Did I get taken?
That depends on how much you paid and what you expected to get.

My concern is that if the vin is not correct for the car, and if the fender tag and core support and trunk numbers don't match each other and the vin in some way you could have a legal issue to deal with.

Keep looking because I see a 7 and 0's and a 4 and an I.
I believe the I is a 1. A lot of part numbers don't use I or Q due to confusion between I/1 and Q/O or Q/0

I see 7?0400105

looks like the number is stamped where I would expect to see it. BUT... did they stamp numbers in those locations in 65?

That depends on how much you paid and what you expected to get.

My concern is that if the vin is not correct for the car, and if the fender tag and core support and trunk numbers don't match each other and the vin in some way you could have a legal issue to deal with.
That's the whole point of this thread. i had some suspicions and just wanted some honest opinions.

HyperPak nailed it. The VIN tags were spot welded......or evidently glued. I've never seen a glued one before, but they were NOT riveted.

I like your air cleaner too. It's cool.

I've destroyed my lower trunk seal. Nothing there.
C'mon guy's. Where do I look? Show a pic!

What about the Trunk Number?! Anybody?
Standing here with a Putty knife and Brake Clean about to not have a trunk seal anymore...

-
Back