Is the 383 a better engine, or does the 440 just have more displacement?

-
I used to be able to shift me 170" 6 cyl 3 speed 63 econoline van without the clutch.

Run engine up to the right speed / rpm and gently move the shifter from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 while keeping the engine rpm at the correct speed for the gear.

It was always a gamble but 9 times out of 10 it went ok.

The benefit of the 383 is it's short stroke. With supporting parts, it can be built as a high revving engine to make great hp....if that is what you want.
Some claim that big bore/short stroke makes for better breathing because of the large bore. It is the intake valve size that is critical for power, not the bore size, because it becomes the choke. Just one example, 455 Pontiac has a long stroke, small bore [ 4.151"] but has a 2.11 intake valve; 440 has a bigger bore, but smaller 2.08 valve. Pontiac placed their valves across the bore c/line to get bigger valves in. Because of this, even the Pontiac 350 HO engine came with a 2.11"valve with a small 3.88" bore. Chrys BBs had the valve line offset from the bore c/line which limits valve sizes, unless you re-design the head.

I've driven a few things a few miles when I had clutch troubles

When I was in the Navy at Treasure Island, one weekend the guy who would later own, and then sell me the 440-6 RR then had a 350 swapped 65 Chevelle. We were up towards Oregon somewhere and he completely ruined the clutch disc. We drove nearly 250mi back to San Francisco with no clutch........start it in gear, and shift without it. I taught him this on the lonely stretch of highway

When I bought a "roller" 56 Chev before my Navy days, it had a "Studebaker" T-10. I did not know this, but the splines on the shaft were shorter than a chev, or I had an odd disc with longer hub, don't know which. Turns out the splines were pressing the disc against the flywheel and it would not release clean. I drove it about a week--no clutch

When I went from RADAR School to NAS Miramar, I drove from home in N Idaho, and had bought a 63 SS with a Pglide. it started to give trouble so I picked up the stuff to convert to a Muncie I had picked up. When I got it all in I had to drive it to a muffler shop to get the pivot ball welded onto the frame---no clutch

I think on the 69RR I must have broke the Z bar........drove IT to a shop to get the thing welded...no clutch

And the 440-6 70RR one night at Carlsbad the release rod collapsed, and I drove from Carlsbad back to NAS Miramar--no clutch

AND I had 3 different 650 Yamaho twin street bikes over the years.......broke a clutch cable once visiting the folks, and had to drive about 55 mi--mostly highway--back home

Carlsbad raceway? Memory flogger! Raced there for a few years. Faster than L.A.county, that's for sure. Palmdale was eighty miles one way, Carlsbad was around a hundred.

ive driven both, back in the day. both in police cars and also in the daily driver roadrunners, bees, etc. (you know back when you could buy one for 500.00 bucks.

the 440 will get up and go a little (very little) slower than the 383 (can't tell you if it was HP or Tor) then the big boy would start feeling its oaks and get down to business on the top end. now thinking that none of them was a low gear rear end, the 383 would scream a lot quicker than the 440 but the 440 would top out a lot more later. all things considered, today i would ride with the 383, i had less problems with them. reminder im talking old school stock the way they came. :)

We used to say " there's no replacement for displacement" back when some of my friends and I were much younger, we didn't give a crap about much... just wanted to run
I'm 47 and still don't give a crap! Anything in the name of speed and power goes!

Surely do not remember such fast Mopars on the street back in the day. My '69 340 Dart 4-speed with headers and 4:10 gears only, got beat by only 2 cars that were Mopar. One was a Hemi RR, it took him 3 tries to get it done, I beat him the first 2 times, 1/4 .mi on the street. The other was a built '64 Plymouth with a 426 wedge.
I raced most all of Chryslers models on the street. What I am getting at, seems like a lot of fast numbers here for cars that were not that fast on the street.
Driving without a clutch is pretty easy, but then, I am a retired truck driver. Only used it when starting out or maneuvering.
Sorry, kinda got away from 383/440.

HP 383 and 440 used the same heads, cam, and exhaust stock. 440's had 750 cfm AVS, while the 383 had a 630 cfm AVS. Swap the 750 cfm AVS onto anything and hold on. I like 383's.

Last edited:
Since this is big block a-body tech, I'm gonna make an observation, NOT related to which is better, a 383 or 440.
If it wasn't in there originally, I wouldn't bother swapping in a 383, when a 360 stroked 408 (or bigger) is easier and fits much better.
I'm not so sure I would bother with a 440 either. Even bigger and harder to fit.
I WOULD do a 400 stroker, If going fast in a straight line is a priority. 500+inches makes the swap worthwhile.
My worthless opinion only.

Since this is big block a-body tech, I'm gonna make an observation, NOT related to which is better, a 383 or 440.
If it wasn't in there originally, I wouldn't bother swapping in a 383, when a 360 stroked 408 (or bigger) is easier and fits much better.
I'm not so sure I would bother with a 440 either. Even bigger and harder to fit.
I WOULD do a 400 stroker, If going fast in a straight line is a priority. 500+inches makes the swap worthwhile.
My worthless opinion only.
It was cheaper to build my big block, my brothers been down the sb stroker road now going big block in his 67 barracuda.

383 due to it's shorter stroke is hard to build decent compression, the chamber volume on big block heads are a better fit for the longer strokes....

With a 383 a true 9.5-10 to 1 C/R either requires a domed piston or allot of milling off the heads...

A 440 on the other hand a flat top close to zero deck, a .040 head gasket & a 915 head puts you at 10.2-1 with perfect quench...

Not true, for pump gas a 383 piston is near deck hight while a 440 is down in the hole.

You gotta ask yourself: Would my girlfriend prefer a ten inch or a twelve inch d!<k? The answer is simple.
I thought about it, short stroke, big bore. Some drivers can handle the extra cubic inches.

When I was about 18 in 1972, my friend’s older sister married this guy named Marty. He was super cool. Bought a triple black stripe delete ’70 LS6 Chevelle new. Sold it when they got married. He was an ace mechanic, first at the ENCO down the block where we lived and then bought a Standard/Amoco station nearby. He told us this great story one day at the ENCO about driving behind a guy in a 383 Roadrunner on the highway, hearing the guy winding 2nd gear forever and thinking to himself, “this guy better shift or he’s going to lunch his motor”, and right then the guy lunched his motor! Marty pulled over to help him and the first thing the guy said was “You just can’t get 7 grand out of a 383!” Marty thought that was hilarious. Then the guy walks over to a piece of a thrown rod on the road and right before Marty can warn him not to pick it up, the guy picks it up and burns his fingers. Wild stuff.

With the lowish cost of stroker kits why not combine the two? I did a 470"/400 w/ Edelbrock heads.....nothing crazy and wasn't over the top pricey but makes a great street toy in my 69 B'cuda Fastback. RPM's like a chainsaw and pulls like a freight train!!

With the lowish cost of stroker kits why not combine the two? I did a 470"/400 w/ Edelbrock heads.....nothing crazy and wasn't over the top pricey but makes a great street toy in my 69 B'cuda Fastback. RPM's like a chainsaw and pulls like a freight train!!
Where from?

I know a lot about small blocks, but not as much about big blocks. I hear and see all the time about people building 440s for their cars. My honest and serious question is, "Is the 440 a better engine than a 383, or is the only advantage the additional 57 cubic inches?" Also, what is the weight differences. I would think that a mildly modified 383 with good heads, intake, headers, etc. could easily hit 450-475 HP. The blocks have the same dimensions, don't they? I mean that won't a 440 fit in exactly the same space as a 383?
t What ever a 383 fit in a 440 will fit too with a slightly tighter exhaust clearance and a bit of carb room due to higher deck, as long as you stay with low air cleaner, otherwise you may need a hole in your hood. I ran into that on an E body I swapped a 440 into with a tall manifold and factory air cleaner from a mid 60's super commando setup. In factory trim the 83 was rated at a higher HP/c.i. than the 40 and torque was higher for the 440 than the 83 in the same manner. If you checked the shop manual ratings you would see that the 83 was pretty much on par with a 360 for TQ. with a slight advantage in HP. However the factory changed its method of rating system between production of the 83 and the 360. The low deck of the 83 required a shorter rod which affected the rod ratio of the late model 83, in the early 60's there was a 383 built on a block with the same deck as the 413,426W, and the venerable 440. there was also a couple of smaller big blocks 350 and 361 inch in low deck starting in 1958. In the tall deck version using the same length rods as all the BIGGER bbm's except for the rod that was used in the even more famous HEMI which is 0.100 longer. These rods have been used in 440 if you remove the pin bushings and fit them to the larger pins of wedge motors and even in custom built 426W's, for whatever reason I have no idea since the general practice is to simply build as big as you can go. By using the Hemi rod in a wedge block you can gain about 1k rpm increase in max due to the changed rod ratio which is more tolerant of higher RPM. I did this once using a set of TRW pistons with a 9:1 comp ratio, no machine work need be done as the piston remains below the deck even with the longer rod. Just be sure to use a .47 gasket if you use closed chamber heads, if using open heads thinner is ok as long as you make sure to bevel the piston so it clears the head. The 440 crank can be installed in a low deck such as a 383 to build more TQ at the expense of safe RPM. Also the use of the 440 crank in the 400 block with correct pistons gets you into the 470 inch range which is using the stock length low deck rods and you get an engine that puts 440 TQ ratings in the dumpster. Of course there is also builds for using 440 blocks with stroker cranks for over 500 inches and you can build engines of fantastic power #'s. So the question becomes why build a 383 when for basically the same cost you can have over 470 inches of power producing engine that looks and measures the same outside as a smaller engine. For the most part, a 440 will power your car maybe 2 seconds faster in a 1/4 mile over a 383 just because it has more torque to make it move off the line and in the first 60 ft or so, but it's a tough call as to which is better. As it goes, there's not much replacement for displacement which is why most people would take the 440 block and built it as big as they can, 511 is about as far as practical without modifying for smaller rod bearings which makes the crank weaker mostly. Anything bigger calls for a different aftermarket block with a raised cam position. Looks like about everyone here has good info... It comes down to what block you have to start working with or can get hands on. 383's were more plentiful and older for the most part. Later 440's seem to have a bit of an edge in the coolant system, passages in the deck but the older engines can be matched to that easy enough. Heads for later engines were not quite what the heads from 67 to 70, maybe late 71, after that they went down hill on emissions, flow reduction and then unleaded fuel was hard on the valve seats. Lots of cracking in the exhausts which made repair and salvage more costly. But new aluminum heads are so awesome why bother with old iron heads. Compare the bore size of the 400 to a 383 and the fact you can use such a bigger intake valve in the 400 block. You will need a K member for the big block though and torsion bars to handle the extra lbs. MOPAR never made a bad engine in any size!

t What ever a 383 fit in a 440 will fit too with a slightly tighter exhaust clearance and a bit of carb room due to higher deck, as long as you stay with low air cleaner, otherwise you may need a hole in your hood. I ran into that on an E body I swapped a 440 into with a tall manifold and factory air cleaner from a mid 60's super commando setup. In factory trim the 83 was rated at a higher HP/c.i. than the 40 and torque was higher for the 440 than the 83 in the same manner. If you checked the shop manual ratings you would see that the 83 was pretty much on par with a 360 for TQ. with a slight advantage in HP. However the factory changed its method of rating system between production of the 83 and the 360. The low deck of the 83 required a shorter rod which affected the rod ratio of the late model 83, in the early 60's there was a 383 built on a block with the same deck as the 413,426W, and the venerable 440. there was also a couple of smaller big blocks 350 and 361 inch in low deck starting in 1958. In the tall deck version using the same length rods as all the BIGGER bbm's except for the rod that was used in the even more famous HEMI which is 0.100 longer. These rods have been used in 440 if you remove the pin bushings and fit them to the larger pins of wedge motors and even in custom built 426W's, for whatever reason I have no idea since the general practice is to simply build as big as you can go. By using the Hemi rod in a wedge block you can gain about 1k rpm increase in max due to the changed rod ratio which is more tolerant of higher RPM. I did this once using a set of TRW pistons with a 9:1 comp ratio, no machine work need be done as the piston remains below the deck even with the longer rod. Just be sure to use a .47 gasket if you use closed chamber heads, if using open heads thinner is ok as long as you make sure to bevel the piston so it clears the head. The 440 crank can be installed in a low deck such as a 383 to build more TQ at the expense of safe RPM. Also the use of the 440 crank in the 400 block with correct pistons gets you into the 470 inch range which is using the stock length low deck rods and you get an engine that puts 440 TQ ratings in the dumpster. Of course there is also builds for using 440 blocks with stroker cranks for over 500 inches and you can build engines of fantastic power #'s. So the question becomes why build a 383 when for basically the same cost you can have over 470 inches of power producing engine that looks and measures the same outside as a smaller engine. For the most part, a 440 will power your car maybe 2 seconds faster in a 1/4 mile over a 383 just because it has more torque to make it move off the line and in the first 60 ft or so, but it's a tough call as to which is better. As it goes, there's not much replacement for displacement which is why most people would take the 440 block and built it as big as they can, 511 is about as far as practical without modifying for smaller rod bearings which makes the crank weaker mostly. Anything bigger calls for a different aftermarket block with a raised cam position. Looks like about everyone here has good info... It comes down to what block you have to start working with or can get hands on. 383's were more plentiful and older for the most part. Later 440's seem to have a bit of an edge in the coolant system, passages in the deck but the older engines can be matched to that easy enough. Heads for later engines were not quite what the heads from 67 to 70, maybe late 71, after that they went down hill on emissions, flow reduction and then unleaded fuel was hard on the valve seats. Lots of cracking in the exhausts which made repair and salvage more costly. But new aluminum heads are so awesome why bother with old iron heads. Compare the bore size of the 400 to a 383 and the fact you can use such a bigger intake valve in the 400 block. You will need a K member for the big block though and torsion bars to handle the extra lbs. MOPAR never made a bad engine in any size!
One reason why I'm not ready for a stroker engine and many other's too is the rest of the driveline needs to be built much stronger to handle the monster torque. Rear end if it's a 8 3/4 needs to be beefed up, driveshaft needs to be upgraded, transmission etc don't just throw stroker in front of stock parts it won't end well.
A 383 or 440 you can make these parts live.

One reason why I'm not ready for a stroker engine and many other's too is the rest of the driveline needs to be built much stronger to handle the monster torque. Rear end if it's a 8 3/4 needs to be beefed up, driveshaft needs to be upgraded, transmission etc don't just throw stroker in front of stock parts it won't end well.
A 383 or 440 you can make these parts live.
Does someone make a Dana that is designed to bolt right into an A body? That would certainly make that part easier. Plus, you could recover a good chunk of your Dana investment by having an A Body 8.75 to sell. And if it was in good shape with Posi-traction (just kidding, I meant Sure Grip), it would be worth even more.

Does someone make a Dana that is designed to bolt right into an A body? That would certainly make that part easier. Plus, you could recover a good chunk of your Dana investment by having an A Body 8.75 to sell. And if it was in good shape with Posi-traction (just kidding, I meant Sure Grip), it would be worth even more.
Doctor Diff handles Strange Engineering Danas. Made to fit an A-Body if you like. Complete, except for brakes, which he can hook you up with also.
I think Moser can make you one, too.
Strange S-60 for Mopar, Ford, Chevy/GM

Not true, for pump gas a 383 piston is near deck hight while a 440 is down in the hole.

My HP 383, is absolute Zero Deck. Was well above static 10 to 1 with shaved 906 heads. I totally understand the cam has some influence for real compression #'s.

The 292/509/108LSA Purple for sure! But advanced 4 degrees and the cylinder pressure goes back up!

Before using some thicker Head Gaskets in 2014 to be able to run REC90 going forward, I had fuel buy issues!

Today all smiles and a REC90 diet!

Last edited:
-
Back