Is the 383 a better engine, or does the 440 just have more displacement?

-
2 pages and 50 posts. (some are quite long) May be this question has been answered but has anyone here build a big horse 383. They run great, have a long rod, a shorter stroke than a 350 Chevy and the like but can they make big power? 500 shouldn't be an issue right?

My HP 383, is absolute Zero Deck. Was well above static 10 to 1 with shaved 906 heads. I totally understand the cam has some influence for real compression #'s.

The 292/509/108LSA Purple for sure! But advanced 4 degrees and the cylinder pressure goes back up!

Before using some thicker Head Gaskets in 2014 to be able to run REC90 going forward, I had fuel buy issues!

Today all smiles and a REC90 diet!
Pardon my ignorance. What Is REC90?

Pardon my ignorance. What Is REC90?
90 octane non-ethanol gas. Rec is abbreviation for recreational, as in boats, ATVs, etc. Good for most anything with a carburetor, as long as the octane is sufficiently high. Works nice in my 340. Higher than 90 is available some places, but not near me. I'm about 2 miles from a Great Lake, so easy to find. I use it in four carbureted engines.
There's a cell phone app called Pure Gas that lists stations offering non-ethanol gas based on your location. It tells you where and what is offered. Pretty handy.

Last edited:
Does someone make a Dana that is designed to bolt right into an A body? That would certainly make that part easier. Plus, you could recover a good chunk of your Dana investment by having an A Body 8.75 to sell. And if it was in good shape with Posi-traction (just kidding, I meant Sure Grip), it would be worth even more.
$2 000+

Does someone make a Dana that is designed to bolt right into an A body? That would certainly make that part easier. Plus, you could recover a good chunk of your Dana investment by having an A Body 8.75 to sell. And if it was in good shape with Posi-traction (just kidding, I meant Sure Grip), it would be worth even more.
Spend spend spend, point is you really don't need a stroker if you're just asking about a 383 or 440.

90 octane non-ethanol gas. Rec is abbreviation for recreational, as in boats, ATVs, etc. Good for most anything with a carburetor, as long as the octane is sufficiently high. Works nice in my 340. Higher than 90 is available some places, but not near me. I'm about 2 miles from a Great Lake, so easy to find. I use it in four carbureted engines.
There's a cell phone app called Pure Gas that lists stations offering non-ethanol gas based on your location. It tells you where and what is offered. Pretty handy.
No such thing in california, except for race gas. California law does not require alcohol.... but it DOES require oxygenation, and that's what alcohol does.

Up to around 520" my vote is 400 block all the way. Bigger bore, stronger block, essence of rich corinthian leather.

Much more room for an air filter with a low deck also.

Up to around 520" my vote is 400 block all the way. Bigger bore, stronger block, essence of rich corinthian leather.

Speaking of leather. I have a candle I bought at a distillery that is Leather and Tobacco scented. Damn is all I can say.

TM Mike,
Post 51. Often wondered the same thing. The BB Chrys has a skirted block, head bolts away from the bores for minimal distortion, shaft rockers, etc,
All the ingredients to build a high rpm engine that could take on the 350 Chebby, with some added features that the 350 doesn't have.

Guys slobbering all over the stroker knob have probably never seen a real ground shakin 383 do what it can do.

Guys slobbering all over the stroker knob have probably never seen a real ground shakin 383 do what it can do.

Have 100 less hp?

I'm not saying a 383 can't run but if you ever looked at the bottom of a 4.25" bore with 2.14/1.81 valves compared to a 400 block you will quickly see why the 383 has been set aside for stock type builds and restorations. The hopped up 383 is like Foghat. It went out of style in 1978 but it's still on tour lol.

TM Mike,
Post 51. Often wondered the same thing. The BB Chrys has a skirted block, head bolts away from the bores for minimal distortion, shaft rockers, etc,
All the ingredients to build a high rpm engine that could take on the 350 Chebby, with some added features that the 350 doesn't have.

The bore and stroke are for the most part arbitrary when comparing these two engines considering the BBM has a 15 degree valve angle and the SBC 23. That is where the power is going to be made up.

Last edited:
if you're not a purist the ford explorer 8.8 rear axle swap has been done (and documented on here) many times including my 68 valiant. very strong, come stock with an lsd and disc brakes and they're much cheaper than an 8 3/4 or dana 60 swap.
neil.

Where from?

I did mine as a piece meal years ago before "kits"were readily available. Buddy runs a perf shop(I worked for him for a bit) So I did an Eagle crank(3.900, B engine mains and BB mopar rod journals) 6.760 Manly H-beams(Mopar rod and .990 pin), Diamond pistons. Eddy heads OOTB(springs for cam) and a Comp street solid roller. Kinda odd combo compared to the kits out there now but it runs great on pump swill and didn't break the bank.

It was cheaper to build my big block, my brothers been down the sb stroker road now going big block in his 67 barracuda.
Oh, I agree! I have nothing performance for a small block, I would have to start from scratch. I have one 440 based stroker, parts for another, and a nice 400 block that would fit in my 67 barracuda nicely, stroked to 512.

There is no substitute for ci, crewed on my mates street/strip '69RR in 2020, run down>
3800lbs@the line.
mild 589ci wedge, 10:1CR
small .625 260/270@.050 s/roller, -13's
440-2, old 950HP
2.1/8" TTI's
dyno'd@695hp from 5500-5900
724ftlbs@4400
TCI 3600-4200 stall converter
727 rvmb, low first gear.
ran a best of 10.35@130, 1.42 60's
traps@6100+rpm.
4.10's/10x29 Hoosier, c/monos, 9-ways through 2.5" exh. to rear.
street driven to track and home.

Have 100 less hp?

I'm not saying a 383 can't run but if you ever looked at the bottom of a 4.25" bore with 2.14/1.81 valves compared to a 400 block you will quickly see why the 383 has been set aside for stock type builds and restorations. The hopped up 383 is like Foghat. It went out of style in 1978 but it's still on tour lol.

The bore and stroke are for the most part arbitrary when comparing these two engines considering the BBM has a 15 degree valve angle and the SBC 23. That is where the power is going to be made up.
Did you READ the original post? The OP is talking about and I quote "450-475HP". A 383 will hit that fallin outta bed with the right parts.

My post is relevant with respect to the engone with more torque and less valve shrouding via a larger bore size making more power. Being a forum of discussion we may tend to stray from answering the OP's question 66 posts into the thread.

Having driven and tuned the 383 in my GTS, most recenty, I have a fair amount of direct experience in the matter.

The 383 is no punk and they are Legendary as we all know. 400's make great fake 383's : D

As with all projects, do what you can, with what you have where you are at. Any rebuilt big block is a good time IMO.

HA,
My wife got me a candle " BURNING RUBBER AND NITRO METHANE" oh ya, she loves me.
But I have to burn it in the shop. <};)
Have a nice Christmas all,
Rick
Speaking of leather. I have a candle I bought at a distillery that is Leather and Tobacco scented. Damn is all I can say.

I am a big believer in the 451! Why not take what makes RB torque monsters and combine with B faster and higher RPM? If one bores a 440 + .060 over? They get 451. But a 400 with an RB 3.75" crank cut down for 400 mains? Will easily out perform the bored 440. That's because the rotating weight is lighter. The 400 mains are smaller. Thus create less friction than 440 mains.

So in closing? Yes... One can have their cake and eat it too? The 451 from a 400? Is a big block that thinks it's a small block. This is really the same secret Chevy used with great success with their 396?

Instead of 408's you'd think the hot combo would be using a turned down 3.75 crank and 383 block for a 426-440 cid engine.

I am a big believer in the 451! Why not take what makes RB torque monsters and combine with B faster and higher RPM? If one bores a 440 + .060 over? They get 451. But a 400 with an RB 3.75" crank cut down for 400 mains? Will easily out perform the bored 440. That's because the rotating weight is lighter. The 400 mains are smaller. Thus create less friction than 440 mains.

So in closing? Yes... One can have their cake and eat it too? The 451 from a 400? Is a big block that thinks it's a small block. This is really the same secret Chevy used with great success with their 396?
Probably the single largest gain in performance by comparing the 451 B block build vs. the 451 RB build is in the blocks themselves. The weight loss from the B block alone compared to the RB block is pretty significant.

Talk to cass a doctordiff.com.
I have a nice new one from him I put in back in 2018 with 4.10 gears. I did not have the spring perches moved in.

Probably the single largest gain in performance by comparing the 451 B block build vs. the 451 RB build is in the blocks themselves. The weight loss from the B block alone compared to the RB block is pretty significant.
That's true. And I also believe it's no secret that RB blocks were a little undersroked for their deck height? The B-block with RB crank completely eliminates that deficiency. Even the mighty 426 street hemi was a little "Boaty" right off the show room floor compared to other manufacturer Big block options. (But with just some tuning the beast began to awake. And add the fact most agree that that engine was also under cammed. Head performance was already there. Just needed to work them more.)

What was the question again.. LOL all I can say is no matter what you throw money at you can make it fast 383 , 440 or400 and they'll always be one faster unless it's a Keith Black nitro burning b****.all I know is when I used to street race I could always handle the 383s with my 340 but the RT'S they were a different story, both are awesome foundations in my opinion .

-
Back