Questions Regarding 383 Barracuda Engine Compartment

-
IMG_5894.gif

Handling is not an issue. Nor is PS or AC, however due to the firewall differences putting a factory system in will pose its own set of problems.

383/4sp

Now, this was a factory AC small block car, but everything fit.

P1011286.JPG

I was there in 1968 and ordered my car personally as I worked at the dealership. P/S was not on the order list nor was A/C if you got the 383. This car arrived at the dealership April/May. It was manual steering. You would think that was a "late" 1968. I have since acquired another similar car WITH factory P/S. This has an even later production, closer to the end of production. How did they do it? The exhaust manifold on the left side is different making P/S available. So for 1968 there are two different left side exhaust manifolds, which is why when ordering new exhaust pipes you will be asked for the casting number on the manifold. So for '67-'69 cuds's (maybe Darts too?) all manual steering cars used the early style manifold, whereas late '68- '69 cars with P/S use the later manifold.
in 1968 I bought a new 68 form S fastback , 383,727, it handled great ,out ran a camaro "hugger" going thru the Ozarks , on the wasy back to Blytheville A F B ,when it wasnt even broken in ...
g m was advertising the "hugger" to be some top of the line road handler back then ...

I had an original 67 383 Cuda and PO installed oversize front sway bars, it rode like on rails....... fastly!! I have no idea nor care about AC. I prefer manual steering on Mopars.

My understanding was when you find a 383 Barracuda you buy it, is this not the case?

Btw, to turn, you rock it if it's manual steering with a 4 speed.

My understanding was when you find a 383 Barracuda you buy it, is this not the case?

Btw, to turn, you rock it if it's manual steering with a 4 speed.
Don't recall but I have had dozens of 68-9 RoadRunners, Bees with 383s and all had manual steering! I had a 69 383 Bee with a 4 speed and manual steering AND AC!!! It was unmolested original. The GTX's usually had PS. Had a 69 Bee hemi car manual steer and brakes.
Back when men were men an sheep were..well nervous in Montana!! I was in Missouri! :thumbsup:

-
Back